News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Klebanov, maybe?

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 01 October 2021, 09:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

On the face of it he's way outside our focus here at UC, but judging by audio extracts from his String Quartet No.4 and Piano Trio No.2 on a new Chandos CD, at least some of the works of Dmitri Klebanov might be worth exploring. Which I will do. I'm fairly sure that the fifth String Quartet won't be my cup of tea, though.

eschiss1

His name sounds familiar- perhaps there was some music of his uploaded here years ago to compare, or something, not sure.

regriba

I've listened to this album, and Mark's impression of the music based on the audio extracts seems correct to me. String quartet no 4 is not only completely tonal, but even tuneful. It is dedicated to the memory of Ukrainian composer Mykola Leontovych and based on songs written by him. His best known song is the Carol of the Bell, and the first movement is based on that. It isn't a deep work but very enjoyable.

Piano trio no 2 is also written in a language far removed from the prevalent in the 1950s when it was written. Mostly I'd say it sounds like a late romantic work, but a few passages also reveal its 20th century origin. At half an hour it's quite substantial. I think it's a good work, somewhat reminiscent of, say, Babajadian's piano trio.

String quartet no 5 is clearly outside our focus here.

Mark Thomas

Thanks regriba. I've downloaded the album, but haven't yet listened to it.