Arthur Farwell music on Naxos - "America's Neglected Composer"

Started by Sharkkb8, Sunday 03 October 2021, 00:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkkb8

This album may (or may not) be mostly a curiosity - the notes below don't really give a clue about the appropriateness for discussion here; I just notice that for as much (or as little) as it's worth, most of these pieces are dated between 1900 and 1910.  Release 22 Oct.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9247197--arthur-farwell-americas-neglected-composer

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Farwell-Quartet-William-Emanuele-University/dp/B09CRQHW52/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Arthur+Farwell%3A&qid=1633216950&s=music&sr=1-2

"Arthur Farwell has been called 'the most neglected composer in [American musical] history.' Hounded by accusations of 'cultural appropriation,' he has posthumously fallen prey to changing notions of cultural authenticity. As the leader of the 'Indianists' movement, Farwell believed it was a democratic obligation of Americans of European descent to try to understand the indigenous Americans they displaced and oppressed. To this end, he merged Indian music and lore with Western concert forms – today, a controversial practice. The performances here recorded originated at a landmark PostClassical Ensemble festival at Washington's National Cathedral."

Sharkkb8

....and I now see that, at the end of this month, Toccata will be releasing two albums of Farwell's piano music, but the following quote is perhaps not encouraging, re discussion on this forum: 

"The American composer Arthur Farwell (1872–1952) is remembered as the leading member of a group of 'Indianists' who used Native American tribal melodies – but Farwell's stylistic range was much wider than is realised today.

This CD, the first of two to examine his piano music, presents first The Vale of Enitharmon, based on the mythology of William Blake, which mixes Romantism and Impressionism.

Impressions of the Wa-Wan Ceremony of the Omahas represents an American Indian ritual so revered that warring tribes would lay down their arms to let the procession pass.

The experimental Polytonal Studies pit two different keys against each other, exploiting the attraction of opposites to generate unusual harmonies and melodies."

Sharkkb8

(actually, make that three albums of piano music to come, from Toccata)

FBerwald

"...merged Indian music and lore with Western concert forms – today, a controversial practice" Why Controversial?

Mark Thomas

Because it might be regarded as cultural appropriation, yet another invention of the woke brigade.

Richard Moss

And how many other classical works are there that have incorporated 'folk songs' from places the composer has travelled to without any previous 'complaint.  No-one complained when Gershwin incorporated jazz into his orchestral works.  As long as the source of the tune is honestly acknowledged and stated, then clearly no 'appropriation' is taking place (unless words no longer mean anything they used to unless the 'Red queen' has so pronounced!).

Sorry for the brief rant. 

Farwell is, I think, yet another of those composers who I think left relatively few works and even fewer have (yet?) made it to CD.  I've got a couple of his orchestral works (Rudolph Gott symphony; God of the Mountain) and I'm aware of A NAXOS CD that records some works inspired by Navajo Indian themes but what else is there?  Probably Farwell might be a bit too well known to be classed as a true unknown, but certainly 'unsung' springs to mind.  I think some of his works were recorded for the American Musical Society for preserving their musical heritage (sorry - can't recall the label).

Let us hope unknown/unsung works don't suffer any fate of cultural appropriation that prevents them seeing the light of day again (unless there really is clear evidence of plagiarism).

Cheers

Richard

TerraEpon

There's a bit of Farwell's music on the two albums called 'The American Indianists' on Marco Polo from years ago.

4candles

The three Toccata Classics discs were released some time ago in fact.