News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Fétis Symphony No.1

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 08 October 2021, 11:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I would like to recommend this out-of-print CD of Belgian composer François Joseph Fétis' Symphony No.1 in E flat and Fantaisie symphonique for Organ and Orchestra:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000025PZV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Symphony is a riot - a bit like the Eroica with a twiddly moustache. I mean, in the first movement recapitulation he adds some brass flourishes which remind me of a solo trumpeter celebrating a six from Ben Stokes at Lord's! (Sorry, US contributors, you'll just have to google that reference!). The slow movement, rather attractive in its songfulness (despite some curt and scrunchy interruptions), is followed by an Intermezzo which is probably the most original part of the Symphony. The finale, a rondo, scampers along cheerfully - the orchestration is rather fine in its interplay of strings and woodwind - until the end comes in a blaze of brass.

Overall, the work reminds me a fair bit of the Beethoven-inspired symphonies of Czerny, except that Fétis doesn't go on for so long (it only runs for 34½ minutes). It was premiered in 1861 when the composer was 77 years old! Good job Brahms didn't wait that long - he'd've been in his grave! Of course, it's very old-fashioned for its time, but that matters little now when we can simply enjoy a piece of music on its own terms.

Go on, give yourself a treat...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja9RIXyAbRw

Mark Thomas

I have loved this work for maybe 20 years, returning to it with pleasure every time I listen. Alan characterises it very well - it really is a fun piece, but works well because it is so well put together. It's a miserable grey drizzly day here and I'm going to cheer myself up by giving it a spin right now!

terry martyn

What a jolly piece of mischief this Symphony is, and how surprising that Fetis composed it.  I´m fond of it too. Makes me wonder about his Second Symphony..............

MartinH

Reverie

MartinH - go on ... you want to don't you .. go on ... (sorry , that's for those that didn't watch all of Alan's link)  :o ;D

Mark Thomas

Ahhh, Mrs Doyle.... but we'd better get back to Fétis' Symphony No.1.