Dussek piano concerto query

Started by giles.enders, Friday 31 December 2010, 12:02

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

I know Dussek's music is a little early for this site but I have a query.  In 1970 Rena Kyriakou recorded a piano concerto in B flat major with the Berlin Symphony Orchestra by him.  It was first released as an LP on Turnabout and has now resurfaced ion a Czech label. Does anyone know which concerto this is? Is it Op 22 or 40 or as some one has recently claimed his very first from 1779.  The only reference is P060 which is a sonata!

JimL

I used to have that LP, and as I recall it was a very early-sounding work, with rather simple orchestration.  I don't recall if the opus number was even mentioned on the LP, nor what the coupling was.  I remember the principle themes of the first movement, and recently realized that I had forgotten the rondo theme of the finale, which I used to be able to recall.  Getting older sucks! >:(

thalbergmad

It cost me 79p, but I can confirm after checking the score that it is the Op.22. I had initial doubts about it being the Op.40 as that is usually described as the "Military" concerto & the 1779 concerto I understood to be lost.

No doubt this is an early work as it lacks any romantic hints, but I only listened to the Rondo.

Now I am going to have this pleasant rondo theme buzzing around my brain for a few days.

Thal

JimL

Quote from: thalbergmad on Friday 31 December 2010, 16:25Now I am going to have this pleasant rondo theme buzzing around my brain for a few days.

Thal
It buzzed around my brain for years, but now I seem to have lost it.  Oh, drat!

Hofrat

I have a CD featuring Andreas Staier and the Concerto Koln performing Dussek's piano concerti in G-minor (opus 49) and B-flat major (opus 22) recorded by Capriccio (10-444) in 1995.  I have not listened to it for some time now but I will find time to pop it in the old CD player and give it a listen soonest.  I have other CD's of Dussek's music if anuyone is interested.

giles.enders

Thanks for the help, I can now reply to my enquirer with more certainty