Reinecke Piano Trios etc.

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 06 November 2021, 18:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

eschiss1

eschiss1

Further evidence of the quality of the missing op 159 might be found from some partial recordings on Youtube, by the way.

Alan Howe

Just to explain: the three works from Op.159 are designated 'Drei leichte Trios' ('Three Easy Trios') and were (presumably) designed for domestic use by amateurs.

Alan Howe

Quite. Like you, I'll take any Reinecke that's going. The more the better.

Sharkkb8

Quote from: Alan Howe on Wednesday 24 November 2021, 21:13I'll take any Reinecke that's going. The more the better.

Heartily endorsed.  And if anyone has found a source for this Reinecke cd other than JPC, I for one would be grateful to hear - I've been checking the usual sources: Amazon, Presto, Europadisc, etc., with no success.   

I do not order from JPC any more - members may remember a rant I wrote about JPC's software always reversing the street numbers in my address, making deliveries take months, and sometimes resulting in non-delivery and order cancellation, as was the case the last 2 attempts. I asked to have the email address of Gerhard Georg Ortmann or anyone in a position of authority, to file a complaint, and was only given the company's snail-mail physical street address.  This after quoting their website: "Our experts will gladly answer all of your questions about products and order fulfillment.  We place great value on personal contact with our customers".  I mailed a polite but firm letter detailing my 5-6 specific order-problems, and perhaps to the surprise of no one, never received a response.

Hmmm, now I realize I'm inflicting yet another personal rant....well, apologies, but my original point was, and still is:  if anyone can report a purchase source for this cd other than JPC, I will be humbly appreciative.  CPO's cd's have mostly been more freely available (and sooner) from the above-mentioned sources the last several months, but curiously, not this one.  Thanks all, for patience & listening.

Alan Howe

I am very sorry to hear this. All I can do is report that I have never had any problems ordering from jpc.

eschiss1

Also, since the Beethoven/Reinecke arrangement has just been recently recorded on Naxos (coupled with Reinecke's first piano trio, issued in May 2021), its omission in favor of the Op.159 trios would have been doubly forgivable.

Alan Howe

...depending, of course, on whether cpo knew of Naxos' recording plans - or vice versa - which seems unlikely to me.

Alan Howe

I started with the late (1895) Piano Trio No.2 in C minor which has something of the gruffness of late Brahms alongside the composer's usual melodic generosity. Its side-slipping harmonies are a constant - and delightful - surprise. And there's passion here too, although it's a passion recalled in later-life equanimity of spirit: Reinecke was over 70 by the time he wrote this superb work, after all. It is not be missed under any circumstances.