Michael Herman, discography compiler

Started by Alan Howe, Sunday 25 July 2021, 21:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

MusicWeb informs us that Michael died last December. He was a good friend to UC - and we appreciated very much his work.

Mark Thomas

terry martyn

There are at least forty CDs that I would never have known about if it hadn´t been for his work.

dhibbard

Alan Howe

I'm not a great fan of lists or list-makers, but Mike's work was so careful and so comprehensive that the result was an absolutely invaluable set of resources.

mikehopf

Vale Mike Herman! My good friend and mentor who introduced me to and provided me with so many fabulous musical rarities.

terry martyn

I see that Musicweb is in discussions to continue Mike´s discography work.  I hope they bear fruit.

Alan Howe

Limmson

I am very sorry to hear of the passing of Mike Herman. Although he and I did not always agree, and we had little contact for some time, I saw a good deal of him during the late 1970s and early 80s. His contribution to my life consists of two composers to whom he introduced me, who became immediate and enduring favorites: Gerald Finzi and Joly Braga Santos. I will always remember him for those contributions to my listening life, and I regret that I let our relationship lapse. He was a good man.

terry martyn

Stephen Ellis, a friend of Michael,is to continue his discography work, Musicweb has just confirmed, and there will be updates in the next few weeks.

Alan Howe

That would be a fitting decision - and would ensure that Mike's work continues, which is essential if the resource isn't to go out of date.

Mark Thomas

Indeed, his legacy is such a valuable resource.

terry martyn

Revisions to the discography have started. I tested them by attempting to see whether the recent CD of Winter-Hjelm was there, but,sadly, it wasn´t.