Karel Ančerl Live Recordings - Suk, Novak & Foerster (Supraphon)

Started by JP, Friday 07 January 2022, 18:15

Previous topic - Next topic

JP

A Happy Belated New Year to everyone. It pleases me to inform you all that Supraphon has released a weighty 15-disc compendium of this legendary Czech conductor's live recordings derived from the repository of the Czech Radio archival vaults.  This includes real rarities containing the radio broadcast performances of Suk's Asrael and Ripening, Foerster's Fourth Symphony with V. Novak's Pan and the never commercially released Autumn Symphony (which incidentally share the same distinctive 5-note thematic motif somewhat akin to John Williams' Close Encounters Theme) being the crown jewels stashed in discs 6, 7 & 8.  So, if you don't mind having these deeply inset coronet gemstones bunched alongside other mainstream classical fare as well as a hearty dose of Czech modern music repertoire, then this compilation set should be a clincher of sorts to start off 2022 with a resounding bang. ;D

https://www.supraphon.com/album/670253-karel-ancerl-live-recordings

semloh

Thanks, JP.

There are so many huge boxed sets being assembled nowadays (some have over 100 CDs), but there are so many items on my 'wish list', and I'm sure I'm not alone in being reluctant to expend my very limited funds, when I already have studio recordings of most of the material they contain. This particular set may have rather more to offer than most, but not enough to tempt me personally. But thanks for the notice.

M. Yaskovsky

I wish the Czech repertoire to be released seperately..... Like Supraphon did for their Karel Ančerl Gold Edition.

Alan Howe

I couldn't possibly justify the financial outlay involved in purchasing this set solely for the purpose of getting hold of a recording of, say, Novak's Autumn Symphony. The CDs need to be made available separately, or as downloads.

Gareth Vaughan

Mark Thomas

In the meantime, the whole set of recordings (including Novak's Autumn Symphony) can be heard in full on Spotify.

Gareth Vaughan

I have taken a vow never to use Spotify. It is an evil cancer on the musical world. And now I hear it is giving oxygen to absurd anti-vaccination propaganda!

Alan Howe

My view is simple: all recordings ought also to be available as downloads and priced accordingly. 

Gareth Vaughan

Alan Howe

I now discover, following some further online digging, that the various contents of this set are in fact available as downloads:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09P4CWFQN?tag=linkfirecom-21&ie=UTF8&linkCode=as2&ascsubtag=127047f90bd23e124371b5c82af239de

So: one can now purchase the Autumn Symphony for £2.97!

M. Yaskovsky

Thanks, althought it's 'only MP3' I'll get the Czech works unknown to me.

Alan Howe

I doubt whether anything more than mp3 is necessary - these aren't exactly recordings in the highest of hi-fi.