Mendelssohn 6th symphony in 4 movements - with score

Started by gprengel, Sunday 16 January 2022, 18:23

Previous topic - Next topic

gprengel

Single movements of my project 'Mendelssohn 6th symphony' I have presented here before. Here now the whole symphony with score in youtube. After the first 2 minutes which are to 99% by Mendelssohn I marked Mendelssohn's sketches in my score with colour yellow, also in movement 2. See further informations in the description of the video :-)

https://youtu.be/U0dFe2nBn_s

Gerd 

Alan Howe

Interesting, but compare this with Kufferath's (contemporary) Symphony in C which knows where it's going from beginning to end...

I'll now give it a proper listen.

Alan Howe

Movement 1: After the exciting opening, the music wanders to my mind - and that applies to much of the rest of the score - until we get to the last two movements which are by Mendelssohn, but have simply been pasted onto the first two to make a symphonic whole.

Four movements do not a symphony make. It would take a genius to make something like this work. I'm just not convinced - sorry. I'll now leave this to others...

Ilja

Great work on Mendelssohn's 6th (or 5th, or, 9th, or 18th, or 19th, depending on who and how you ask), Gerd! I'd heard this a while ago, and it evidently impressed me more than it did Alan), with the admission that the Andante is a bit on the longish side for my liking, also in relation to the other movements. But I'm happy to hear this regardless.