Saint-Saëns Phryné

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 15 January 2022, 11:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Just the job! Bru Zane's exploration of Saint-Saëns' operas has been a great revelation and especially appropriate now, 100 years on from his death.

TerraEpon

Another one? That's like, number four in five years...

Mark Thomas

Surely you're not complaining??

Alan Howe

QuoteAnother one? That's like, number four in five years...

We should be grateful, though, shouldn't we?

TerraEpon

No, it was more of an awed statement.

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

Revilod

One of my particular interests is French opera. Has anyone heard this recording?  Is it worth £28 or so for a one act work on a single disc?

eschiss1

In any event I'm glad to see there are multiple versions on YouTube to compare it with, one way or the other; not as unknown an opera as I'd thought...

Revilod

There are several uploads of "Phryné" on Youtube but I think they are all of the same performance....one dating from 1960 conducted by Jules Gressier. A good cast ( including Denise Duval, no less) should help to guarantee an authentic feel.

Ebubu

"There are several uploads of "Phryné" on Youtube but I think they are all of the same performance....one dating from 1960 conducted by Jules Gressier."

Indeed.  But I will upload soon an excellent version by Andrée ESPOSITO (Phryné), Nadine SAUTEREAU (Lampito), Louis MUSY (Dicéphile), Rémi CORAZZA (Nicias), Jacques MARS (Arogagine), Gérard FRIEDMANN (Cynalopex)
Ch.Orch.Radio-Lyr.RTF: Eugène BIGOT, which in my (humble) opinion, is better even than the Gressier (at least vocally !).
And Corazza is far better than the pale Cyrille Dubois in the recent PBZ recording.
Stay tuned....