Paolino Vassallo - Orchestral Music (2007)

Started by Ilja, Tuesday 15 February 2022, 22:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilja

Dear all,

For a while, I've been trying to acquire a recording of several orchestral works by the Maltese composer Paolino Vassallo (1856-1923), which was released in 2007 by the house label of the National Orchestra of Malta, conducted by Christopher Muscat. Unfortunately, the orchestra has not replied to my queries, and I can find it for sale nowhere, either new or used. Can any of you good people help me?

Alan Howe

Ilja

I had already done that; he replied this morning, and gave me contact data at the National Orchestra of Malta (other than the general information address, which I'd tried already). I'll keep you updated.

Alan Howe

Great - well done. I'd be interested in the recording too.

mikehopf

I've got 7 CDs in the Gega collection of  Maltese Sacred Music including Masses and Sinfonias by Vassallo, Fremond, Bugeja and A. Nani together with shorter religious works by Galea, Fenech, Vella, Decesare`and P.Nani. Are they also available on Spotify?

Mark Thomas

Spotify's search function can be a bit hit and miss, but all I can find there by Vassallo is the Grande Messa.

mikehopf

Qobuz has the Nani Shipwreck Mass and - my favourite - Isouard's Liturgy of St John plus a short Sinfonia.

For the opera tragics, Isouard's delightful opera Cendrillon is also available on a  2CD set from Albany ( and Qobuz).

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

Ilja

Pleasant enough, and the section from 1:00 onwards has a pretty tune (which I suspect may originate in Maltese folk music). But hearing such intermezzi on their own and out of the context of the larger work is rarely a good idea. To me, this sounds like a ballet intermezzo, to be honest.

Hopefully, a CD with Vassallo's orchestral works is on its way to me right now; I've asked for permission to share it with the forum. That will give us a better idea of the composer's abilities, I'm sure.

Alan Howe

QuoteBut hearing such intermezzi on their own and out of the context of the larger work is rarely a good idea

Haven't record companies made a mint out of such collections, though? The problem with the Vassallo is surely quality - it just doesn't work very well on its own, unlike these, for example:
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7960520--opera-intermezzi

Ilja

I don't rule that out, but we'll have to wait for a bit more of his works to make a better judgment, I think.

Also, I don't think we entirely agree on the merit of all the pieces on the CD you mention.

Alan Howe