News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

2022 Unsung Concerts

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 17 February 2022, 23:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

I don't believe there are any, nor am I surprised if the attitude of the BBC, when I pressed them to have Raff as a "Composer of the Week" this year, is typical; but we've rehearsed this all before...

eschiss1

The Sinfonietta on 1 April 2023 in Macclesfield, Cheshire? (Outside of this 2022 subject's orbit, though.)

eschiss1

The Sinfonietta is (also) being performed in 3 days as I write this (so on 9 September, then) at Worleston Music School, Nantwich, Cheshire ( :) ) with works by Richard Strauss and what looks like a premiere by Adam Gorb.

Mark Thomas

Thanks, Eric. The Sinfonietta gets an airing quite often both here and in the US, but I think that's more because of the paucity of repertoire for medium-sized wind ensembles than any special recognition of Raff.

Alan Howe

All rather depressing. Not even one symphony? Scandalous!

eschiss1

Similarly conjectured that something like that was why some early 19th century composers had multiple recordings of their wind music but almost no recordings of music for which they had much greater competition (Krommer, e.g.) ...

eschiss1

not soon in the UK that I see. Sym. 3 in Frankfurt in December... and symphony no.10 in Zürich in December too. (And a few months ago a performance in Estonia? - hrm, I'll look harder...)

Alan Howe

Can't afford to travel abroad in this cost of living crisis, but London's only 1½ hours away by train...

eschiss1

For those who are interested (I am but would have to hold out for listening to a recording) there's a new reconstruction of the Bruckner 9 finale being premiered (in context, with the rest of the symphony) at the Royal Festival Hall on November 30, with songs by Vaughan Williams, conducted by Robin Ticciati. The site where this was mentioned has some interesting concerts listed generally.

UnsungMasterpieces

Starting on the 25th of September, there will be four concerts by the Veenkoloniaal Symfonie Orkest, an orchestra from the northern part of the Netherlands. The four concerts will consist of highlights from their repertoire, and special among these: the first performance of the first movement of Cornelis Dopper's 5th symphony (Sinfonia Epica). Three of these concerts will be given in the Netherlands (Emmen, Hoogeveen, Winschoten) and one in Germany (Haren (Ems)).

Rainolf

On 1 October 2022 the premiere performance of the Suite for Violoncello solo in B minor op. 32, No. 2 by Walter Courvoisier will take place at the Max-Reger-Tage in Weiden, Bavaria. It will be performed by the prominent German cellist Julius Berger, together with works of Johann Sebastian Bach, Max Reger and Adolf Busch.

https://www.maxregertage.de/veranstaltungen/termin/24-weidener-max-reger-tage-recital/

Courvoisier wrote his two Cello Suites op. 32 in 1921, but, unlike his Violin Suites op. 31, did not publish them. They remained unprinted until 2021, when a critical edition was published by Musikproduktion Höflich/Beyond the Waves. As the editor of the works I am proud that Prof. Berger has added the B minor Suite to his repertoire. He will record the work on CD, too.

Rainolf

On 29 September 2022 the new Bösendorfer-Saal in Vienna will be opened with a piano recital by Aris Alexander Blettenberg. On this occasion Felix Draeseke's Piano Sonata op. 6 will recieve its first performance in Vienna. The other pieces to be heard are Beethoven's 32 Variations in C minor and Polonaise op. 8, Bizet's Variations chromatiques, Bülow's transcription of Liszt's Dante sonnet Tanto gentile e tanto onesta and Andante and Scherzo op. 13 by Julius Zellner.

http://www.the-new-listener.de/index.php/2022/09/26/eroeffnungskonzert-des-neuen-boesendorfer-saales-in-wien-mit-aris-alexander-blettenberg/

Alan Howe

eschiss1

On November 24 the Hastings Philharmonic's opening chamber concert in St Leonards-On-Sea has 3 nonets, by Josef Rheinberger, Heitor Villa-Lobos and Bohuslav Jan Martinů.

Rainolf

Hochschule für Musik und Theater Hannover, Kammermusiksaal
16 December 2022, 19:30

Muzio Clementi: Piano Sonata in B minor op. 40/2
Giannis Konstantinidis: 6 Etudes on rhythms of Greek folklore
Felix Draeseke: Sonata quasi fantasia for piano op. 6
Richard Strauss: Violin Sonata in E flat major op. 18

Aris Alexander Blettenberg, piano
Amelie Böckheler, violin