News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Charles Villiers Stanford

Started by albion, Thursday 06 January 2011, 18:56

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

eschiss1

Josh- as regards Schoenberg, that is... flipwise upsidedown inaccurate. Especially as regards what he wanted to do (what he actually succeeded in doing is more debatable. What he wanted to do was much more conservative and he never tired of saying so.)

JimL

Quote from: eschiss1 on Friday 07 January 2011, 04:33
Pacini or Piatti?
I'm sorry.  Neither.  It was Guido Papini, and it dates from 1875.  I've had the CD in my car for months and was trying to remember the name of that dratted violinist.  Mind go bye-bye...

albion

Quote from: JimL on Friday 07 January 2011, 00:25BTW, forgive me for asking but I'm a little stumped about how to pronounce Parry.  Due to the spelling, I guess.  Does it rhyme with sorry or berry?
Try rhyming with marry, carry, tarry, Larry and Barry ...  ;D

Quote from: Balapoel on Friday 07 January 2011, 02:54
Concertante work from Stanford:
Cello:
Rondo (1869), unperformed
Concerto in d minor (1880)
Ballata and Ballabile, Op. 160 (1918)

Clarinet:
Concerto in a minor, Op. 80 (1902)

Piano:
Concerto in Bb (1874)
Concerto (no. 1) in G, Op. 59 (1894)
Concerto (no. 2) in c minor, Op. 126 (1911)
Concerto (no. 3) in Eb, Op. 171 (1919)
Concert variations on an English Theme, Op. 71 (1898)

Violin
Suite in D, Op. 32 (1888)
Concerto (no. 1) in D, Op. 74
Concerto (no. 2) in g minor, Op. 162 (1918)
Variations, Op. 180 (1921)
An Irish Concertino in d for violin, cello, Op. 161 (1918)

I have 9 of these 14 concertante pieces, my favorite would have to be the second piano concerto.
Cheers,
Balapoel

The list should also properly include the Irish Rhapsody No.3, Op.137 (1913) for 'cello and orchestra, the Concert Piece for organ and orchestra, Op.181 (1921) and Irish Rhapsody No.6, Op.191 (1922) for violin and orchestra.

Balapoel, if you don't have Ballata and Ballabile, Op.160 or the Irish Concertino, Op.161 please see the thread British music broadcasts - I've uploaded off-air recordings of both.

eschiss1

has someone recorded the violin variations op.180? I was counting the works in that list and thinking that 9 of the 14 had been recorded and were ... probably the ones referred to- but not definitely :) - and that Ballata and Ballabile (in its cello/piano form on Meridian, though) was among those referred to...

Balapoel

Yes, thanks again Albion!

The one's I have:
Concerto in d minor (1880)
Ballata and Ballabile, Op. 160 (1918) (thanks Albion)
Concerto in a minor, Op. 80 (1902)
Concerto (no. 1) in G, Op. 59 (1894)
Concerto (no. 2) in c minor, Op. 126 (1911)
Concerto (no. 3) in Eb, Op. 171 (1919)
Concert variations on an English Theme, Op. 71 (1898)
Suite in D, Op. 32 (1888)
An Irish Concertino in d for violin, cello, Op. 161 (1918) (thanks to Albion)
Irish rhapsody no. 3 in D, op. 137 - for vc and orch (1913)
Irish Rhapsody no. 6 in d minor, Op. 191 - for vn and orch (1922).

Does anyone know the status of Rhapsody No. 2 in F (1902-3, incomplete?), op. 79? Is it in fact lost?

Balapoel

albion

Quote from: Balapoel on Friday 07 January 2011, 20:57
Does anyone know the status of Rhapsody No. 2 in F (1902-3, incomplete?), op. 79? Is it in fact lost?

Balapoel

Stanford's first attempt at a second Irish Rhapsody (Op.79) was abandoned after only 72 bars, but the autograph score is at the Robinson Library, Newcastle University (NUL 23).

Quote from: eschiss1 on Friday 07 January 2011, 12:47
has someone recorded the violin variations op.180? I was counting the works in that list and thinking that 9 of the 14 had been recorded and were ... probably the ones referred to- but not definitely :) - and that Ballata and Ballabile (in its cello/piano form on Meridian, though) was among those referred to...
No, the Variations for Violin and Orchestra, Op.180 have never been performed and only exist in a version for piano and violin. The autograph score, completed 5th January 1921, is at the Dorset Rural Music School, Blandford Forum.

eschiss1

I've only heard the Hyperion recordings of the suite in D and violin concerto (no.1) in D op.74 on the radio so far, but can't help noticing you list one but not the other :)

Hovite

Quote from: Albion on Thursday 06 January 2011, 18:56The glaring omission is the operas - especially Much Ado About Nothing (1901) and The Travelling Companion (1916).

The BBC once broadcast some extracts from  The Travelling Companion that made a big impression on me at the time. Sadly the supernatural nature of the plot would probably prevent a modern production.

Josh

R. Wagner's Ring cycle has a completely supernatural plot and gets produced all the time.

JimL

Thomas' Hamlet has a ghost in it, if it is true to the Shakespeare play, that is.  It was just produced at the Met last season.  Verdi's Macbeth has three witches - pretty supernatural to me.  Did not Britten compose an opera based on The Turn of the Screw?  I've never seen it live, but that's a ghost story.  I don't think that supernatural elements are a bar to production; as a matter of fact, most people enjoy a good spook yarn.

Pengelli

Regarding the 'Travelling Companion'. I would love to hear this one. The supernatural plot would be a plus point for me! 'Kate & the Devil','Schwanda',Der Freischutz','Hans Heiling' & 'Hansel & Gretel',and Humperdinck's,recently released,(by cpo), 'Dornroschen',when I can get my hands on a copy,have all scored pretty highly in my collection. It is reputed to be one of his best & I think you are referring to some highlights which were broadcast a couple of years ago,back in the 1990's,I think. Unfortunately,I missed it. The supernatural trappings,(?) would be fine on cd,anyway,(the ideal medium). And Chandos did V-W's lovely & long overdue 'The Poisoned Kiss',which,in terms of plot is as daft as opera can get,(even dafter than that,actually!).

petershott@btinternet.com

Not quite, Josh. The Ring is based on ancient Nordic sagas, and its characters upon mythological figures in those sagas. Nothing 'supernatural' about it, anymore than any opera or musical work based upon a literary work, or for that matter a Biblical oratorio by Handel. However we're all quite forgetting the thread, viz Stanford!

Peter

Pengelli

You're quite right. I passed a dwarf in the street,just the other day.

albion

Quote from: Pengelli on Saturday 08 January 2011, 17:11
Regarding the 'Travelling Companion'. I would love to hear this one. The supernatural plot would be a plus point for me! 'Kate & the Devil','Schwanda',Der Freischutz','Hans Heiling' & 'Hansel & Gretel',and Humperdinck's,recently released,(by cpo), 'Dornroschen',when I can get my hands on a copy,have all scored pretty highly in my collection. It is reputed to be one of his best & I think you are referring to some highlights which were broadcast a couple of years ago,back in the 1990's,I think. Unfortunately,I missed it. The supernatural trappings,(?) would be fine on cd,anyway,(the ideal medium). And Chandos did V-W's lovely & long overdue 'The Poisoned Kiss',which,in terms of plot is as daft as opera can get,(even dafter than that,actually!).

The Travelling Companion, based on Hans Anderson, is basically a version of the Turandot fable, with riddles set by a cold, icy Princess - her father is a wizard, hence the supernatural element. Henry Newbolt's libretto is tightly-structured and reads surprisingly well today.

I rejoiced mightily when the Hickox recording of The Poisoned Kiss came out - I keep badgering Chandos to do a similar service for Holst's The Perfect Fool (1923): apparently Andrew Davis is quite interested.