Charles Villiers Stanford

Started by albion, Thursday 06 January 2011, 18:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimfin

Very exciting! Stanford never disappoints in my experience. But how odd that he apparently wrote three unaccompanied masses and lost them all in the space of a few years. I would imagine that these works are likely to be different versions of the same project, though I doubt anyone has any way of knowing now.

Alan Howe

QuoteStanford never disappoints in my experience
I'd have too dissent from that, but he's a very fine composer nonetheless.

Mark Thomas

"Never" is maybe a tad too sweeping, but "seldom" certainly covers it.

Alan Howe

giles.enders

For those interested in Stanford's operas, there will be a performance of his last opera, 'The Travelling Companion' at Cadogan Hall, London on 30th November.

Master Jacques

Relating to The Travelling Companion (an intriguing piece), there are also performances of this New Sussex Opera staging in Lewes and Eastbourne (November 21 and 22) before the London night, and one in Saffron Walden after it (on December 2, when it will be recorded for CD release).

There is also a substantial feature article about Stanford's published and unpublished operas in the November issue of Opera magazine, for those who subscribe.

Mark Thomas

Quotewhen it will be recorded for CD release
Glory be!

Ebubu

edurban

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

I'm so frustrated that I can't make the Cadogan Hall performance.

Jimfin

I can't believe it's being performed in Saffron Walden! I lived there when  I was five and my parents still live nearish, but sadly I'm in Japan!

JeremyMHolmes

Following my earlier posting about the Stanford Mass 'Via Victrix', I see that a review of this concert has now appeared on musicwebinternational's 'Seen and Heard' page, which says that it will be broadcast on BBCR3 on November 5th, and that this will be followed at some point by a CD issue on Lyrita:

http://seenandheard-international.com/2018/10/stanford-premiere-in-cardiff-after-one-hundred-years/

semloh

Thanks Savoir_Faire. It's an interesting review. The Lyrita disc will be very welcome indeed!