Lemba: planned recordings?

Started by Christopher, Tuesday 15 March 2022, 18:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

Quote from: dhibbard on Thursday 10 March 2022, 00:50
I know from being on the Board of the Tubin Society there are several more pieces of music of Lemba to be recorded and released soon. 

https://www.tubinsociety.com/?page_id=744&lang=en - Board of the Tubin Society..

On another forum, in April 2014 (and later again in February 2017), you were adamant that you would be able to get information from the Tubin Society about a Lemba CD due for release which would contain his "Overture Fantasy No 3; Festive Overture No 2; Symphony No 2 in F minor: "On the way of the life"; and Festive Overture No 1 (ERSO with Volmer conducting)".  When pressed, you decided that actually this CD would be released by the Alba label.  When this didn't materialise and you were pressed further, you declared that actually it would "be released by ERP instead of Alba in summer 2016." When I wrote to ERP directly and received a reply from their Artistic Director, Peeter Vähi, saying "Many thanks for your interest in Estonian music and Lemba. Unfortunately, we don't have any plans regarding recording nor releasing Lemba's CD", which I showed you, you didn't have a clear answer, despite claiming to be in Tallinn at the time (where you could most easily have ascertained the true situation).

So...has there been an actual update in the meantime with these to-date elusive (and possibly imaginery) Lemba recordings?

Alan Howe

Mr Hibbard: are you or were you actually on the board of the Tubin Society? Or is this all made-up?

Mark Thomas

Thank you Christopher for so succinctly presenting the issue and I too look forward to seeing Mr Hibbard's reply.

dhibbard

I should have said in prior years  (1994-2010).  My company donated a sum of money to the Society initially to get it started.  I am retired now and have not been an "active" member since 2010. 

Mark Thomas

Indeed you should have said that and I'm quite at a loss to understand why you didn't, unless it was an attempt to bolster your authority in making those statements about planned Lemba recordings - which also appear to be quite unfounded. That said, we'll continue this conversation by Private Message.

Christopher

Quote from: dhibbard on Wednesday 16 March 2022, 02:50
I should have said in prior years  (1994-2010).  My company donated a sum of money to the Society initially to get it started.  I am retired now and have not been an "active" member since 2010. 

How can you square your following two statements:  "I know from being on the Board of the Tubin Society there are several more pieces of music of Lemba to be recorded and released soon" and "I... have not been an "active" member since 2010." Why did you make such a definitive statement on Lemba recordings? Do you still stand by that statement?

Now that the spotlight is on you, you can account for the large number of similar statements you have made over the years on this forum (and others) regarding recordings by Baltic, Belarusian and Ukrainian composers which quite clearly have never existed. Have you ever actually been there? On another forum you claimed last month to be in Kharkiv (east Ukraine, currently under heavy bombardment) - a cursory glance at the news would make that unlikely in the extreme.

Mark Thomas

Thanks, Christopher. I'm handling this now by PM.