News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Michail Jurowski died

Started by eschiss1, Sunday 20 March 2022, 00:17

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Conductor Michail Jurowski died today (yesterday?) (aged 76, 1945-2022.)

semloh

Wiki says it was the 19th, Eric, and references a German newspaper report dated 19th, but I wouldn't take that as gospel. I am not aware that he promoted UCs, but it's a sad loss nonetheless.

CelesteCadenza

Quote from: semloh on Sunday 20 March 2022, 06:46I am not aware that he promoted UCs.

JPE Hartmann's Valkyrien and the premiere recording of Rubinstein's Moses would certainly qualify:
https://imgartists.com/news/michail-jurowski-conducts-world-premiere-recording-of-anton-rubinsteins-moses/
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8605119--hartmann-valkyrien-op-62

I had the opportunity to hear Jurowski père on several occasions at the Komische Oper Berlin. All quite excellent but indeed not very unsung; nonetheless a Love for Three Oranges from 2006 was great fun.

TerraEpon

He did the symphony cycles for both Peterson-Berger and Rangstrom.

eschiss1

Also, I think, the only complete recording of Meyerbeer's "Struensee", on the same label? Yes, he of course recorded other works too, including his father's music. (Well, not of course; C. v. Dohnanyi is not exactly well-known as a premiere exponent of his relative E. v. Dohnanyi's symphonies...)  As to live performance, I see he conducted the Liszt Faust symphony at the Proms in 2011 - undersung in concert still, I think, though it has a good number of recordings. Opera-wise he's conducted Enescu's 1931 Oedipe (in 2017, concert rather than staged. Not quite in the strictest interpretation of our mandate, but I only mention it.

And this: An article in which this concert was mentioned also has Jurowski discussing the difficulty of programming anything non-mainstream even at festivals- Enescu is an exception at the Enescu Festival for reasons I hope I need not elaborate, and broadcast concerts from those festivals show some occasional other works of interest, but what he describes is a trend toward the well-known and familiar rather than the unsung of -any- era. (Some festivals seem to remain more exceptions for now, e.g. Indian Summer at Levoca.))

Ilja

Quote from: TerraEpon on Sunday 20 March 2022, 12:20
He did the symphony cycles for both Peterson-Berger and Rangstrom.

A few more unsung recordings helmed by Jurowski:

• Nikolaus von Reznicek: Schlemil , Der Sieger, Raskolnikoff, Eine Lustspiel-Ouvertüre, Chamisso Variations, and Kol Nidrei Variations (with the WDR Köln SO)
  • Hans Huber, Piano Concertos 1 & 3 (with Dan Franklin Smith / Stuttgart PhO)
  • Johan Selmer, Prometheus and Carnival in Flanders (with the Oslo PhO)
  • Wilhelm Peterson Berger, Violin Concerto (with Ulf Wallin / Norrkoping Symphony Orchestra), Törnrossagan Suite, Frösöblomster Suite (with the Norrköping SO)
  • Christian Horneman, Gurre-Suite (With the Copenhagen PhO)
  • Otto Nicolai, Der Tempelritter and other orchestral pieces (with the WDR Köln SO)
All in all, quite a substantial contribution to our musical corner, I'd say.

semloh

Well, he did indeed promote UCs. And, I actually have the Peterson-Berger cycle!  ::)

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Department of Corrections or Redundancies Department Department: I'm guessing that is his son's or something, not his father's (born 1972, after all) 5th symphony he recorded there. Hrm. Anyway. (I should have remembered that, I have looked at the score at the publisher's site...)
Thanks for the link. A nice range and quantity of underknown music, actually.

der79sebas

No, it is Michail's father Vladimir's symphony 5. ("born 1972" is wrong, you can have a look at the cd cover and find "born 1915" there.) Vladimir the son does not compose, and is imho not as good a conductor as Michail was, who was often as a guest in Vienna and did very interesting and well conducted programs there.