Dutton to record Arthur Benjamin Viola works with RSNO

Started by patmos.beje, Sunday 09 January 2011, 02:08

Previous topic - Next topic

patmos.beje

According to the web page of violist Sarah-Jane Bradly, in May this year she is recording for Dutton Arthur Benjamin's Romantic Fantasy for Violin, Viola and Orchestra of 1938.  The violinist is Lorraine McAslan and the orchestra the RSNO conducted by John Gibbons.  The Romantic Fantasy is currently available on two CDs, one with Jascha Heifetz and William Primrose (which can be heard on You Tube).  Also being recorded is Benjamin's Elegy, Waltz and Toccata for Viola and Orchestra of 1942.  This is another name for Benjamin's Viola Sonata which Dutton have already recorded and which was also recorded by William Primrose (which can also be heard on You Tube).  This will be its premiere recording in its orchestral version, also known as the Viola Concerto.  As each of these works lasts only about 20 minutes is it too much to hope that the remainder of the CD will be filled with Lorraine McAslan as soloist in the premiere CD recording of Benjamin's superb Violin Concerto of 1932 which lasts about 30 minutes?  I hope so.  Notwithstanding that Benjamin was a pianist these string works are, in my view, the best of his nine concertante pieces.  Here is the link (http://www.sarahjanebradley.com/page7.htm).

Alan Howe

An intriguing prospect indeed - and very much to be welcomed. Thanks for the news of this.

petershott@btinternet.com

Yes, an intriguing prospect indeed. I would guess that Benjamin is someone the current world has yet to really discover, and that among his works are a number of relatively unknown works of huge weight.

There is a considerable body of 'light' works such as the catchy Jamican Rhumba. But tucked away behind those is at least one utter masterpiece - the sole Symphony of 1944-45. First time I heard it my socks fast disappeared from my feet, and I wondered how such a great symphony was not better known. I rate it as unquestionably up there with, for example, Walton 1 or even RVW. It is a deeply serious and significant full length symphony. The two recordings (on Marco Polo and Lyrita) are both top notch. For those who don't know it, investigate forthwith! So let us hope this current reported project comes to fruition - I'd love to hear these works.

Incidentally for those who love musical quizzes at the silly season, here is a ripe question for you: which composer was shot down by Herman Goering? I've just briefly checked what little I know of Benjamin by taking a quick peek at Wikimedia. I there discover that during WW1 Benjamin was attached to the Royal Flying Corps and was shot down by the young Herman Goering - how about that! But somehow doubt if Goering has any other basis for mention on the UC site!!

Peter

Alan Howe

Peter is right: Benjamin's Symphony is top-notch. A 44-minute genuine masterpiece.