Ukrainian Classical Music - can you help?

Started by Christopher, Friday 21 January 2022, 16:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

They would probably have described themselves as both, given that Ukraine was in the Russian Empire, as also was Estonia, Latvia etc etc.  However this is where English can't distinguish: there are two words for "Russian" in Russian - russky and rossiisky.  The former refers to culture/literature/language etc, while the latter refers to officialdom - your passport/government/state/president.  We can't know if any of them would have said one or the other.

der79sebas why do you use such strong words as "ridiculous" and "definitely"? What's the root of your certainty and vehemence? Putinversteher?  There are ugly tones of denying Ukraine's existence as a state and a nation, which is exactly the cause of today's conflict (witness Putin's rambling and deranged 7000 word on precisely this topic of just a few months ago). Are you one of those who finds this "small faraway country's" claims to our attention irritating, believing it should just accept its fate at the hands of its larger neighbour? I note how you wrote "with the difference that Czechia sort of existed then, whereas Ukraine did not" - read Gogol and dare say that again.

What is certainly true is that where previously many in the country may have been ambiguous about their identity, they are now clear after everything they have witnessed over the past 8 years: they are Ukrainian, whether Russian-speaking or Ukrainian-speaking - and that Ukraine is therefore a state where civic identity, not ethnic, comes first. To bring this back to our composers - I believe it is highly likely that Gliere, Bortkiewicz and others, after seeing what Putin is doing to their home towns (Kyiv and Kharkiv) would come to the same conclusion.

Finally, this thread was made to draw attention to a team of Ukrainians who are heroically trying their damnedes t to save their country's musical heritage in the most challenging of conditions (and I and others are making donations to help them do this - how about you?).

Alan Howe

QuoteBortkiewicz and Gliere would definitely NOT have regarded themselves as Ukrainian

I think they would have - at least, by origin.

Anyway, this aspect of the thread isn't getting us anywhere. Back to the music, please. This is for the second and final time of asking.

Christopher

There will be two concerts with music by Ukrainian composers to raise humanitarian funds for Ukraine, performed by Invicta Sinfonia:

- Sat 7th May, 7:00pm - St John the Baptist CE Church, London, SE6 2RP
- Sun 18th Sep, 7:00PM - Langley Park Centre for Performing Arts, South Eden Park Road, Beckenham, BR3 3BP

Programme:
Myroslav Skoryk - Melody
Boris Lyatoshynsky - Suite on Ukrainian Folksongs
and, er...Reinhold Gliere - Horn Concerto (soloist Joel Roberts)

https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/invictasinfonia/fundraising-concert-for-ukraine/2022-05-07/19:00/t-dydpvn

https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/invictasinfonia/fundraising-concert-for-ukraine/e-kxrokr

https://www.facebook.com/invictasinfonia/posts/717457693032101

eschiss1