Hiller Piano Quartet No.3 Op.133 & Piano Quintet Op.156

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 21 April 2022, 10:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Yes, the man's a marvel. This is a very appealing release.

izdawiz

Gareth Vaughan

I think (I certainly HOPE) that we may find this release contains some of Hiller's best music.

britishcomposer

Both works/recordings are in our downloads archive kindly uploaded by Jerry in 2011. (German music folder).
The link should perhaps be removed

eschiss1

I remember those recordings. I liked them alot (and the music on'em) and wish their commercial release all the best! They really are Hiller in fine form.

Mark Thomas

QuoteBoth works/recordings are in our downloads archive kindly uploaded by Jerry in 2011. (German music folder).
The link should perhaps be removed
I've deleted the posts. Thanks for the reminder.

Alan Howe

The CD has arrived and I can confirm that the Piano Quintet is an absolutely wonderful work, although I'm glad I'm not a string-player, especially in the finale. Nevertheless, this is both melodically engaging and rhythmically exciting throughout.

I don't expect this release will sell in huge numbers. It absolutely ought to, though.

John Boyer

I concur with Alan's assessment.  Both works are solidly crafted.  I listened to them last week and again today, finding my enjoyment grew upon re-hearing them.  They earn an easy recommendation for anyone who likes mid-19th century German chamber music.

eschiss1

btw there was another recording of the quintet in 2015, coupled with Robert Schumann. Wonder how they compare...

John Boyer

Quote from: eschiss1 on Thursday 03 November 2022, 19:36btw there was another recording of the quintet in 2015, coupled with Robert Schumann. Wonder how they compare...

Well, I'm sure most would find the Schumann much better.  😉