A new recording of Langgaard’s 1st Symphony

Started by eschiss1, Saturday 28 May 2022, 03:28

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

From Dacapo, this one conducted by Sakari Oramo with the Berlin Philharmonic.

kolaboy

I've only heard the Danacord release; hope this one betters it.

Alan Howe

I expect it'll be good, but how much do I really want another recording?

eschiss1

At a guess, it's no more aimed at people who already have the other three than the latest recording of a repertoire piece is aimed at people who already have every recording of it. Dacapo (at a guess) has taken the risk that there's room for 4 recordings, 2 on their own label, of this work (and the promotional material emphasizes the performers, who I think recorded the 2nd and 6th but maybe for another label?)...

Alan Howe

Oh, quite, I understand the marketing - after all it is with the Berlin Philharmonic. I was just asking myself whether I want another recording of this piece. And I don't.

Ilja

I think I'm rather interested to hear what a top-flight orchestra and top conductor make of this; it's a work with a huge potential to get out of control, and none of the available recordings quite manages to rein it in.

I'll reserve my judgment until after I've visited one of the concerts where the symphony will be recorded (one assumes) in June, in the Berlin Philharmonie.

Alan Howe

I agree about the orchestra, but isn't Thomas Dausgaard just as eminent a conductor as Sakari Oramo? And I know we don't always agree with David Hurwitz, but he gives Dausgaard's recording a 10/10 rating:
https://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-14569/?search=1

Ilja

I visited the first of the two Langgaard concerts in Berlin last week, and I can't emphasize enough how anyone who cares about this work should hear Oramo's recording. This is a very difficult symphony to pace and proportion properly, but Oramo appears to have put a lot of effort into getting that right, and it showed. Although I've listened to this symphony often before, I heard things I'd never really heard before.

The orchestra is great, of course, and the crowd on the night was very appreciative. The Sibelius VC before the interval turned out so-so (this isn't Janine Jansen's repertory), so it really was the highlight of the evening.

Mark Thomas

I'm never at all sure what I feel about Langgaard's music because stylistically it can be all over the place, but thanks for your report Ilja, which encourages me to at least think seriously about buying Oramo's recording -  I'll probably sample it on Spotify first, though. It's due out in the autumn, I see.

Ilja

That's understandable. The First is not Langgaard's best; the influence (and, probably, contribution) of his father Siegfried is still quite strong, its episodic structure is sometimes difficult to penetrate, and it lacks Langgaard's later individuality - or, perhaps, idiosyncrasy. My favorites are its two successors, which show more of Rued and less of his father Siegfried, and hold together much better.