Louis Glass - Symphony #4 on cpo

Started by Sharkkb8, Tuesday 31 May 2022, 01:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkkb8

cpo continues its Louis Glass Symphony series - Symphony #4 is next up.  Oddly enough, I saw this listing at Amazon USA but at none of the other usual suspects - unless I missed it, don't see it yet at Presto, Amazon UK, or Apple Music.  Features Daniel Raiskin & Rhine State Philharmonic Orchestra - that team elicited raves around here with the Symphony #5 a while back.

(Would like to have posted album cover here, but I haven't been able to make the "insert image" button work for quite a while now.  Anyone who has solved this problem....DM welcome!  Will try to insert link to album cover image here, maybe it will work & maybe it won't!)

Release date on Amazon USA is June 17.   (and shortly thereafter I shall be able to cut loose the corresponding Plovdiv Philharmonic recording....from a series which has not exactly been showered with praise  :o

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

Recorded 8 years ago!! Wonder what else lies unissued in cpo's vaults...

terry martyn

I thought that they recorded the Gernsheim Piano Concerto  eons ago...............

Gareth Vaughan

tpaloj

Quote from: Alan Howe on Tuesday 31 May 2022, 09:33
Recorded 8 years ago!! Wonder what else lies unissued in cpo's vaults...
Tell me about it! Still waiting to hear the Conrad Ansorge PC which Oliver Triendl recorded for cpo 2-3 years ago. Guess I have to pitch a tent and hold still for the next five or six years for it.

Alan Howe

Thanks for those reminders, but please let's not get into a list of cpo's unissued recordings - it'll take over the entire thread!

Ilja

Glass''s Fourth symphony is probably his most problematic work; there are plenty of good tunes, but boy does he take his time with it. What didn't help was that the Todorov recording was also the worst in that series, with some seriously sloppy playing.
By the looks of this, Raskin shaves off five minutes compared to Todorov, which to me seems like not quite enough. Still, can't wait to subject this to a listen.

eschiss1

Judging from the piano duet reduction (I should check the ms full score, also now easily checkable from IMSLP with Danish library source) there's no first movement repeat to be omitted (nor is there one in the finale), but maybe Raskin just uses better tempi. Hopefully no cuts, though.

M. Yaskovsky

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

semloh

I suppose this will stand head and shoulders above the old Danacord CD: after 20 years, a new recording is certainly overdue. Rob Barnett said little about the Danacord performance or recording but waxed lyrical about the music.
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev//2001/Jan01/Glass4.htm

Alan Howe

John Boyer

Quote from: Alan Howe on Friday 18 November 2022, 12:25Mine's on its way from jpc...
Mine too, along with the first two volumes in the CPO symphony series.  I am jumping in almost blind.  I did, however, track down used copies of the CPO recordings of the duo sonatas (999 548) and the Piano Quintet and String Sextet (777 062).  This was an interesting exercise in exploring unknown territory.  Were I to base my opinion on the duo sonatas, I would say Glass is quite a find, but if upon the quintet and sextet then I'd say Glass is best given a pass.  In other words, as with so many forgotten composers, one shouldn't let a single exposure form your final opinion of a composer's worth.