Joachim Raff - Welt-Ende, Gericht, Neue Welt

Started by Justin, Monday 06 June 2022, 15:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Good oh! To answer Justin's earlier query, this is definitely the Leipzig performance, recorded at the Gewandhaus on 6 June 2022.

Alan Howe

1 hour 46 minutes of prime Raff - can't wait! My order's in.

eschiss1

I see, and their 6 new releases of the month are out at that (of which this is no.2 in order of physical placement). Anyhow, good news! (Ah, yep, says Recording: Gewandhaus Leipzig..." on the back label from the jpc site. Hrm, recorded just under 2 years before release- arguably not bad in general, and I don't mean just for cpo.)

Mark Thomas

I'm gobsmacked that the whole double album, as yet unreleased, has already been posted of YouTube by the choir.

TerraEpon

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Friday 23 February 2024, 12:04I'm gobsmacked that the whole double album, as yet unreleased, has already been posted of YouTube by the choir.

It was just released.

And why are you gobsmacked in 2024? For most people, streaming IS how they listen to things. I'm fan of a game whose second entry came out a year ago. Soundtrack was released on CD and download (in Japan only, as is the normal) shortly after, and almost everyone who continues to whine about  "Why isn't it on Spotify?!" "When's it going to be on Spotify?!".....and now it was just put there the other day, tons of people are all over it.

Alan Howe

If this is the way of the world, I'm a dinosaur. And always will be.

Back to the work itself...

Mark Thomas

QuoteFor most people, streaming IS how they listen to things.
Oh, I understand that, of course, and I have no problem with it. But if it's on YouTube it's not monetised as it would be on the commercial streaming platforms, so neither cpo nor the artists will get anything financially from it being streamed from there.

Gareth Vaughan

That is precisely the point, Mark. I can't see how it can be in the interests of the choir (or any of the artistes) to make this brand new recording available via a medium which is free. I will listen to it, of course, but I shall also purchase the CD when it is released.
Anyway, as Alan rightly prompts: back to the work itself. (Alan and I will lumber back into the Jurassic undergrowth!)

BerlinExpat

In Germany I can only find this one:

Gerhard Rehm conducting: Mechthild Georg (Mezzo-Soprano); Kurt Widmer (Baritone); Balinger Kantorei; Catholic Church Choir Empfingen; Wiesenstetten Church Choir; and the Southwest German Radio Symphony Orchestra

FBerwald

Quote from: TerraEpon on Friday 23 February 2024, 13:20
Quote from: Mark Thomas on Friday 23 February 2024, 12:04I'm gobsmacked that the whole double album, as yet unreleased, has already been posted of YouTube by the choir.

It was just released.

And why are you gobsmacked in 2024? For most people, streaming IS how they listen to things. I'm fan of a game whose second entry came out a year ago. Soundtrack was released on CD and download (in Japan only, as is the normal) shortly after, and almost everyone who continues to whine about  "Why isn't it on Spotify?!" "When's it going to be on Spotify?!".....and now it was just put there the other day, tons of people are all over it.

Why are you surprised that some of us are gobsmacked (be it 2024 or 2084)? A lot of time, money and effort went into this and to have it all freely streamed is just plain wrong. If your argument is that this is the standard norm nowadays, it still doesn't make it right. This whole argument of free streaming music so that the public can sample the whole thing before they can make a decision if or not to purchase is akin to going to a clothing store and telling them that you want to wear one of their expensive 3 piece suit for a couple of days before deciding if or not you want to actually purchase it.

If they must sample something, then let it be sound clips; of if it is the whole piece, then make it part of a paid subscription.

John Boyer

Quote from: TerraEpon on Friday 23 February 2024, 13:20It was just released.

And why are you gobsmacked in 2024? For most people, streaming IS how they listen to things.

...Because now anyone can down load it for free, eliminating any monetary return for CD sales or paid streaming.

Alan Howe

Well, I've paid my money and made my (no doubt old-fashioned) choice...

John Boyer

I believe my order went in within 24 hours of yours, so let's see to whom JPC gives priority.   

I never thought I'd see a recording of this.  And to think there are still candidates, like the "Volker" (Op. 203) suite or the Suite in A (Op. 210) for violin.  Still, something on this scale is remarkable.   

adriano

Well, I already recorded it directly from digital radio when it was broadcast in 2022, but will still buy a CD in order to support this enterprise :-)

Alan Howe