Benjamin Godard Violin Concerto no. '0' from Dutton

Started by FBerwald, Wednesday 15 June 2022, 13:12

Previous topic - Next topic

FBerwald

Dutton has a very interesting disc on their website now - Benjamin Godard's Violin Concerto, Op. 29 - way before his Op. 35 & 131. Orchestrated by Martin Yates

Also in the disc -
En plein air: Suite de cinq morceaux for violin and orchestra, Op. 145
Scènes écossaises for oboe and orchestra, Op. 138
Suite de trois morceaux for flute and orchestra, Op. 116
Trois morceaux for orchestra, Op. 27
https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLX7399

TerraEpon

How odd that when you look at the 'New Releases - Classical' category it's still showing way back from the Sullivan disc from a quite a while ago.....makes me wonder how many new releases from them I've missed....

FBerwald

Alan Howe

Do let us know what you think of the VC if you plan to order the CD...

FBerwald

I have ordered, but it takes nearly 3 weeks for it to be delivered in India

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

My copy arrived yesterday and I've just played the Violin Concerto. It's an attractive piece, left by Godard with just a piano accompaniment, which has been orchestrated by Martin Yates. First impressions are that it's a very pleasant tuneful piece, which at 26 minutes doesn't outstay its welcome, and I suspect is grateful for the soloist to play. The first movement has plenty of momentum and some drama, the slow movement is a song without words with a rather more dramatic central section and the finale is jolly and almost balletic. You'd be hard pressed to guess its composer, and maybe Yates' unobtrusive but effective-enough orchestration doesn't help in that respect, but it's a competent, civilised piece of work which I enjoyed and look forward to hearing again.

Martin Eastick

My copy arrived earlier today and i have had the opportunity to try out immediately. The violin concerto is certainly quite an accomplished work, and i suggest that the slow movement is perhaps the most appealing although the outer movements certainly have their moments. However, as the disc includes a rather delightful collection of Godard's shorter (mainly) concertante works which ideally complement the concerto, it is a splendid addition to Godard's recorded repertoire and surely further reinforces his reputation. I have only one slight reservation in that I don't find much "Scottishness" in the Scènes écosssaise - which, of course, does not detract from the actual music!

eschiss1

The manuscript original (with piano acc.) is at BNF and mirrored at IMSLP, I see.

musiclover

I have my copy and the playing is superb. If these soloists and orchestra don't make the case for these works then nobody will.
Sometimes recordings come along that are utterly delightful (I mean this in the most glorious way) and this is one of those recordings. Makes you glad to be able to hear all this music. Bravo to Dutton and all involved with the disc.

semloh

I love the music of Godard, so this is a must for me. Thanks for all the helpful comments.

terry martyn

Dutton makes bold, and inaccurate, claims that all but no 14 are world premiere recordings.  But the flute suite was recorded (on the Schwann catalogue, if memory serves me correct) by the RIAS Sinfonietta

terry martyn

This spurious claim to a world 'first' has put me in mind of a line from Citizen Smith (a UK comedy series of many a decade ago):
"I am going to see the World Wrestling Championship .Tooting Version"

eschiss1

Re the Godard flute suite: half a dozen recordings, I think? Careless of them. Also, yes, op.138 no.1 in oboe/piano reduction.

TerraEpon

It's probably some silliness like "in this new edition (that actually changes basically nothing but a few articulations and what not)".