News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Evelyn Faltis 1887-1937

Started by giles.enders, Saturday 03 November 2012, 12:32

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Evelyn Faltis   Born 20.2.1887 in Trutnov, Bohemia - Died 19.5.1937 in Vienna, Austria

She was brought up in Paris, returning to Vienna 1905-1909 to study music under Robert Fuchs,  Eusebius Mandyczewski,  Richard Heuberger and Hugo Reinhold.  She then went to Dresden for further studies under Felix Draeseke and Auguste Reuss.  Between 1918 and 1933 she resided in Berlin and then returned to Vienna for her remaining years.

She was a composer, solo pianist and accompanist at The Deutsche Oper in Berlin and at Bayreuth between 1914 and 1933.

According to her wishes she is buried at Bayreuth.

Orchestral

Fantastic Symphony  Op.2a
'Hamlet' Overture  Op.26
Piano Concerto  Op.3

Chamber

Piano Trio in D minor  Op.1
Piano Trio in G minor  Op.4
Andante and Slavonic Dance for violin and piano Op.5
Adagio for violin and piano
Sonata for violin and piano in D minor  Op.6  pub. by Ries & Erler
String Quartet  Op.13a
String Quartet  Op.15

Piano

Sonata in B minor  1909

Songs

Six songs for voice and piano  Op.2c - Fulfilment, Lost, Golden Cradle Swing, O trust your loved ones,  In the Night, Dead Autumn.
Three songs for voice and piano  Op.7 - Dreams, Litany, Nepomuk
Seven songs for voice and piano Op.8 - Folksong, Golka, Days of Roses, Song of the dancer, Love song, Vigil, Fog.
Six songs for voice and piano  Op.10 - Why,  Come home,  Anthem, Libuse, The Baffled, In the evening.
Six Gypsy songs for voice and piano  Op.12a - Order, The Lovers, Farewell, Kolednika, The Brides Garden, The Forsaken.
Two songs for voice and piano  Op.14 - The Dream, The Cherry Tree.
Songs of distant memory for voice and piano - Confusion, Show me your true image, Say, Homecoming

Invocation: 'Which way should I proceed', for eight part mixed choir. Op.9
Two Hymns(Sacred Songs)  Op.11

Organ

Fantasy and double fugue with Dies irae  for organ  Op.12
Mass with organ  Op.13b

eschiss1

FWIW there is a Wikipedia article about her here.  Interesting list of teachers. (There was a composer Emanuel Faltis some of whose compositions were published during her childhood. Any relation, you suppose?)

Alan Howe

Quote from: eschiss1 on Saturday 03 November 2012, 13:27
Interesting list of teachers.

Quite. The Felix Draeseke Webpages has this about her:

<<Evelyn Faltis (20 Feb 1890 - 19 May 1937) was a German composer of Bohemian origin. She was educated in Paris, then studied at the Music Academy in Vienna, where her teachers included Robert Fuchs and Mandyczewski. She then studied with Draeseke and Eduard Reus at the Dresden Conservatory, where she won a prize for her Phantastische Sinfonie (op 2a), and later with Sophie Menter in Munich. She was the first woman to coach singers at Bayreuth and became the soloists' répétiteur at the Nuremberg Stadttheater am Ring and the Darmstadt Hoftheater and in 1924 she started work at the Berlin Städtische Oper. Her compositions include the symphonic poem Hamlet, a piano concerto, two string quartets, a number of choral works, including a Mass, and about twenty songs.>>
http://www.draeseke.org/essays/students.htm#Faltis

Gareth Vaughan

Any idea where her scores are? Berlin? Nothing in Munich, I note.

eschiss1

Scores or manuscripts? Published scores @ Leipzig (piano trio) and Oldenburg (violin sonata)...
There's another bio, in German, of maybe some slightly supplementary interest @ here. Birthyear given as 1890 in several of these places.

Gareth Vaughan

Published and MSS, Eric. I can't find anything in the UK - at least, at a first trawl through the usual sites.

Wheesht

Here is the most detailed information about her that I have been able to find - in German only - on the MUGI Musik und Gender im Internet
website. According to this, the Bavarian State Library in Munich holds a collection of letters and other materials, but it is not known where manuscripts of her composition scores are held. There is also a comprehensive entry about her in: 210 österreichische Komponistinnen vom 16. Jahrhundert bis zur Gegenwart - Biographie, Werk und Bibliographie. Ein Lexikon. By Eva Marx and Gerlinde Haas. Published by Residenz Verlag, Salzburg 2001.

Wheesht

Unfazed by the default warning that this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days, I am delighted to post after more than ten years (!):
Tenor Daniel Johannsen and pianist Tatjana Dravenau have recorded six Lieder by Evelyn Faltis, and these recordings, specially made for German WDR, radio can be heard in WDR 3 Klassikforum, of 20 April, using this link (from 1:36:00 to 1:50:40). 

semloh