BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Franz Lachner

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 19 January 2011, 19:57

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Quote from: Balapoel on Saturday 05 February 2011, 03:24
http://hofmeister.rhul.ac.uk
Unfortunately this site, with its database of searchable text transcriptions of Hofmeisters Monatsberichte from 1829 to 1901, seems to be down possibly permanently.  The scans it linked to, at ONB, from 1829 to 1947 more or less, are still there but untranscribed and unsearchable.  (I do sometimes spend my free time reading them anyway and linking to them from IMSLP workpages, compiling information about lesser-known works, etc. I'm a dork. ... and proud of it mind...) Google Books has some of these too, some of them searchable, but mostly for US people... anyhow, very useful resource if used carefully, for finding out when a work was probably first published, among other things.

Balapoel

Yes, I agree - one should be careful - particularly since later editions are listed, sometimes without appropriate notation. Also, I've found errors with opus assignments. But, on the plus side, there is normally detailed information on song-lists and first-lines, notably absent from Grove's, for the most part.

I have relatively complete databases of about 560 unsungs, if any are interested. I try to have these whenever I buy CDs, so as to avoid duplication and aid exploration of their works.

eschiss1

Quote from: Balapoel on Saturday 05 February 2011, 19:21
Yes, I agree - one should be careful - particularly since later editions are listed, sometimes without appropriate notation. Also, I've found errors with opus assignments. But, on the plus side, there is normally detailed information on song-lists and first-lines, notably absent from Grove's, for the most part.
I believe- perhaps inaccurately though???... that Hofmeisters Monatsberichte was closer to the 'music received by us this month' section of a music magazine than a Grove's worklist which goes some way to me anyway towards explaining some of the differences - for good and ill :) Having so much contemporary evidence of what music was being published from 1829 to 1947, is to a certain frame of mind (... mine for instance, and yours if I gather right :) ) - ... is without price (and practically free, too- yay libraries!), for all that, agreed, one must always understand one's sources and use them well and carefully, whatever they are, apologies for banality.

(Sorry- babbling. Carry on. Re the databases you mention - on IMSLP especially (even moreso than on en-Wikipedia) we are trying to compile worklists for composers with works with out-of-copyright works published (works the site can host) (or who arranged or edited such works), I think, based off Hofmeisters and any other sufficiently reliable sources available (Pazdirek, Groves, etc.) Started on a semi-sort-of-worklist of Samuel de Lange jr. yesterday, for instance. Yes, indeed, I think we would be interested though I can only speak for myself...

Balapoel

Regarding de Lange, I have (I think) almost all of his works listed (except Opp 3, 5, 9, 11). If you think our crowd will be interested, I can start a series of lists of composers to share what I've uncovered.

Edit> I see you mean Samuel, I thought you meant Daniël. I have the symphony and Requiem by the latter, but I don't have any information on his father yet.

-Balapoel

eschiss1

Quote from: Balapoel on Sunday 06 February 2011, 17:52
Edit> I see you mean Samuel, I thought you meant Daniël. I have the symphony and Requiem by the latter, but I don't have any information on his father yet.

-Balapoel
Daniel's father is Samuel de Lange sr. (1811-1884)  Samuel de Lange jr. (1840-1911) and Daniel were brothers. Didn't know Samuel de Lange Sr. wrote a symphony (oh. re-reading in my turn, you meant Daniel. right! ok.), actually... mostly that he wrote a whole lot of organ and liturgical music; his sons composed a lot more in the concert forms (and also in liturgical music- Samuel Jr. wrote psalm settings, oratorios and cantatas, 5 organ sonatas at least, 3 string quartets, a piano quintet, 2 piano trios, a cello sonata, 4 violin sonatas, among other works...)

Peter1953

Dear Balapoel and Eric, this is going far off-topic, I'm afraid. There is a thread on Daniël de Lange, including a link to a special website.
I would love to read a comment on Franz Lachner's Symphony 1.

John H White

Good news! JPC are now offering the previously deleted recordings of Lachner's 5th and 8th symphonies at 7.99 Euros each. I found that out when I went to spend my 80th birthday 5 euro gift  voucher from them. Of course, there is a 5.99 Euro shipping charge to the UK, but this appears to be a flat rate for any size of order.

Peter1953

I've just ordered Lachner's 8th, and... the Liszt piano box . I'm a lucky person, because jpc doesn't charge shipment costs to the Netherlands the next few days...
John, can you please tell me more about Lachners 1st? I see it offered at Amazon. And... happy birthday to you!

petershott@btinternet.com

And although late (quite characteristic of me!) I also send greetings for an 80th birthday to one through whom I have discovered Lachner. And I hope many more recommendations will be made before the 100th birthday. With warm best wishes to you,

Peter

Mark Thomas

Yes, happy birthday John! Maybe achieving your hundredth would call for a performance of your Vectis Symphony by the Berlin Philharmonic?

Alan Howe

Many, many happy returns, John. And sincere thanks for introducing me to Spohr and F. Lachner. I'm in your debt...

John H White

Many thanks gentlemen for your kind greetings. I'm now recovering from the large bruise I got when I took a tumble on an unexpectedly steep descent during my celebration sponsored 66 mile cycle ride round the Isle of Wight on Tuesday.
Of course Lachner's 1st symphony is a much more modest affair than his later ones, but it does include a fugal element in the scherzo and, in my opinion, is well worth hearing.

eschiss1

I've uploaded the floating manuscript Andante I found on the BSB server to IMSLP for easier perusing - if someone who knows the 6th symphony wants to compare its  slow movement and this andante and can inform me whether the latter might be, say, a draft for the slow movement of the former (I don't know- I know only the bare details of the 6th symphony...) - then i'd appreciate :) The link at IMSLP , copyright-admin-block passed now, is Andante_in_D_major.

Eric

eschiss1

BTW according to BSB-library (they've digitized just the libretto, so far) there's another Festlied, from 1844 rather than 1867, for another festival apparently and to words of the same L. Koch (L.=... well, I'll work it out... maybe viaf.org will help) rather than Müller as with op.123 - I wonder how many w/o Op. works (besides the half-dozen or so I already know about) there are to add to the list? Fairly prolific fellow here; not on a Milhaud, Villa-Lobos or Busch level, but prolific. :) Good stuff from what I've heard so far. (Busch would be Dennis Busch, born 1947, composer of ... a whole lot. Very little recorded. Haven't heard any of it. Very little published. See the New York Public Library Catalog at Catnyp since he's deposited a lot of it at ASCAP (I think) and so they list it.)
Eric

eschiss1

according to AMZ, June 23 1838, the Andante of Lachner's 6th symphony is not in D major but in B (H dur). It's still possible of course that

(i) the scanned-in Andante manuscript is a draft for the andante that eventuated.
(ii) the AMZ people made a mistake here
(iii) the Google books scanner did

but if the andante of the 6th is in B major I feel a bit April fooled nonetheless :)
(as in, I asked several people in a position to tell me, who either have seen the 6th symphony score or spoke with people who have, and not a one so much as mentioned this slight, but key, difference ;) )