News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

2023 Unsung Concerts

Started by Wheesht, Saturday 16 July 2022, 09:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

It'll give you the opportunity to judge for yourself whether her music really is special enough to deserve all the attention she is currently getting.

Alan Howe

Frankly, I think a lot of her music sounds very similar. As I said elsewhere, her Piano Concerto shows off the characteristics of her style in fewer than 18 minutes - which is sufficient for me.

eschiss1

Also, since her string quartet no.1 apparently lasts about 15-18 minutes, it has the same advantage of brevity as has the piano concerto. (Unless those 15-18 minutes manage to be more formally long-winded within. I'll find out tomorrow!)

Alan Howe

The PC's definitely not long-winded!

eschiss1

Not what I meant. I meant the string quartet, for all its brevity, might conceivably be repetitive, etc. and less "tight" than the equally brief PC. (I -could- go listen to videos of both today and compare before I go to the concert and remove - or not - the "might" before I attend the concert, of course.) (Anyhow, apologies, digressing from the topic :D)

Alan Howe

Doesn't matter. Do report on the String Quartet!

eschiss1

First movement reminded me of Dvorak, Zemlinsky and Schmidt (his 1925 first string quartet- I wonder when it received its US premiere?), tonally speaking. Pretty good... Second (slow/dance combined) movement didn't interest me as much. Finale missing or never written.
The other two works in the concert were works I'd heard often but not recently (Haydn op.74/3 in G minor) and not often and not recently (Shostakovich quartet no.9 in E-flat) and both grabbed my attention as did their performances. (Edit: which is still pretty impressive to me, I've known, more or less, both those works for 3 decades or so.) Very happy to have gone.

Christopher

The National Symphony Orchestra of Ukraine is currently touring the UK.

https://nsou.com.ua/en/

The unsung piece they are playing regularly is Lyatoshynsky's Symphony No.2 (and sometimes his Grazhyna Ballade, Op.58)

Other works ks they are performing include Beethoven's Piano Concerto No.4, Bruch's Violin Concerto No.1, Richard Strauss's Don Juan, Sibelius's Symphony No.1 and Finlandia, Liszt's Mazeppa, Maksym Berezovskyi "Ukrainian Symphony".

18 Oct - Croydon (Fairfield Halls)
19 Oct - London (Cadogan Hall)
20 Oct - Guildford
21 Oct - Basingstoke
22 Oct - Cardiff
24 Oct - Birmingham
25 Oct - Cambridge
26 Oct - Bradford
27 Oct - Manchester
28 Oct - Perth
29 Oct - Edinburgh
31 Oct - Middlesborough
2 Nov - Sheffield
3 Nov - Liverpool
4 Nov - Nottingham
5 Nov - Norwich

Rainolf

Würzburg, 9 and 10 December 2023, Neubaukirche

The MonteverdiChor Würzburg and the Jena Philharmonic, conducted by Matthias Beckert, will perform the following Christmas concert:

Gabriel Pierne: Les enfants à Bethléem
Felix Woyrsch: Die Geburt Jesu
Hermann Zilcher: Abend senkt sich nieder

https://www.monteverdichor.com/konzerte.html#start

Petteri Nieminen

Sorry placed this into the 2024 thread  :-X (new member so I'm still learning the ropes). The same here for Nov 29 & 30 this year.

2023 not 2024 but... RPO (Cardogan Hall) will play the UK premiere of Ida Mobergs "Sunrise") with Tito Muñoz conducting. Moberg died in obscurity in 1947. Our society is preparing all her orchestral scores to be distributed freeware within a couple of months and this piece was the first one I typeset in 2017.
Nov 29 & 30, for all you Londoners over there.

https://www.rpo.co.uk/whats-on/eventdetail/2044/191/sibelius-violin-concerto

Jonathan

From my FB feed and concerning my nearest concert hall:

The countdown to the Winter Concert is officially on! Come in and get out of the cold this December 17th for an evening of wonderful music at the Sir Jack Lyons Concert Hall, York University!🎅🏻❄️🎶

Programme to include:

Samuel Coleridge-Taylor: Othello Suite
Tchaikovsky: Nutcracker Suite
Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet Suite No.2

Tickets available on our website as usual... see you there!

I don't know the Coleridge-Taylor at all!

Best regards
Jonathan

semloh

Quote from: Jonathan on Saturday 02 December 2023, 19:47From my FB feed and concerning my nearest concert hall:

The countdown to the Winter Concert is officially on! Come in and get out of the cold this December 17th for an evening of wonderful music at the Sir Jack Lyons Concert Hall, York University!🎅🏻❄️🎶

Programme to include:

Samuel Coleridge-Taylor: Othello Suite
Tchaikovsky: Nutcracker Suite
Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet Suite No.2

Tickets available on our website as usual... see you there!

I don't know the Coleridge-Taylor at all!

Best regards
Jonathan

I'd love to, Jonathan. It's a most enjoyable concert programme, York is a beautiful city, and I'd really enjoy some cold weather as a relief from the heat of North Queensland!