News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

2023 Unsung Concerts

Started by Wheesht, Saturday 16 July 2022, 09:18

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Several of these concertos, e.g. Respighi's, have performances listed at such sites as Bachtrack in the upcoming 12 months. As to violin concertos, don't forget Mr. Broeker's site.

eschiss1

I've also found one interesting way to browse for people who may be performing a work is to be clever with keyword searches on Instagram. There's a gratifying amount of interest out there, I think. (One video reel there is a violinist, about 27 weeks ago alas but it is there and enthusiastically commented on, practicing the finale of the Karłowicz concerto.)

eschiss1

On 8 August, Prom 32 will contain works by Holst, Grace Williams (her violin concerto of 1950) and Dora Pejačević's overture in D minor (op.49, 1919).
On 17 June in Brussels (and I think the same concert 8 June in Bruges), is a concert with Mortelmans' 1917 Elegie no.1 (In Memoriam), Brahms' first symphony and the first (1941) of Tubin's violin concertos. Looks like a terrific concert.

semloh

Yes, and good to see the Proms airing something British other than the usual 'Last Night' fare!

alberto

Teatro Regio, Torino, next September and October seven performances of Halevy La Juive (cond. Daniel Oren, protagonists Gregory Kunde (69 years) and Msriangela Sicilia).
The last performances (in the same theatre) were in 1885.

eschiss1

Pejacevic songs, 9 August 2023 at the Royal Albert Hall, with other songs by Mahler-Werfel and orchestral works by Weber and Rachmaninov.

30 August: Anna Ovsyanikova, violin, will perform violin and piano music by Mathieu Crickboom (among others featured in the concert) at St Mary Le Strand Church in London - see Ticketsource.

Edit: 25 July 2023: a choral (and instrumental) concert containing works by Kosenko (nocturne-fantasia op.4), Lyatoshynsky (Melody and Dance from Op.25), Bortkiewicz (prelude Op.33 No.7) and quite a few others at Gloucester Cathedral (Muzika Lyra (violin, voice/guitar, piano trio) and the Saint Cecilia Singers). Part of the 3 Choirs Festival. Found on BachTrack but also see 3Choirs.org.

eschiss1

Also, tonight in London (Proms concert, simultaneous broadcast)- Coleridge-Taylor's violin concerto. (His Ballade was in Monday's Proms which will be rebroadcast in the Radio 3 Afternoon Concert on Friday.)
Rachmaninoff's still somewhat rarely performed symphony The Bells is part of Prom 16, broadcast 26 July.

eschiss1

These concerts have already happened- if someone's already posted them before they did, I apologize and will edit or delete this comment - since the West Cork Chamber Music Festival took place late June-early July this year. Going to try to remember before it happens next year.
Of the works there, most relevant to us is a performance of Emilie Mayer's string quartet in A major by the Ardeo Quartet on 27 June (so about a month ago), and perhaps Enescu's 3rd violin sonata on 31 July. (The rest of the program has much of beauty from Baroque to early-20th-century works and at least interesting more recent things, I think.)

eschiss1

Also, Alkan's 2nd chamber concerto will be part of the last concert (Oct. 1 2023) in this year's Indian Summer in Levoča concert series (with Jonathan Powell, pianist.) (See Concert programme for 2023.)

eschiss1

Speaking of Alkan, several works this season, including his Op.1 Steibelt variations in a concert in Edinburgh on 15 August.
Even sooner, on 13 August, a concert with Robert Fuchs (1847-1927)'s 2nd piano quartet, Op.75 in B minor of 1904 (which was performed by the Seattle Chamber Music Society back on July 11... is something up?) will take place in Rosendal, Hordaland, Norway at Kvinnherad Kyrkje with works by Brahms and Marie Elisabeth von Sachsen-Meiningen (1853-1923).
Another concert (!!!) with the Fuchs 2nd piano quartet, on 24 October, in Hamburg, will also contain Hans Gàl's string quartet no.1 Op.16 (excerpts only), Rott's string quartet in c, Maria Bach's "Volga" piano quintet, and Wolf's serenade. My! Other details here!

eschiss1

Ah, just noticed this:
the Diogenes Quartet is performing Friedrich Gernsheim's string quartet no.4 in E minor (which they haven't yet recorded for cpo, or at least if they have, it hasn't been released) on 8 October 2023 in Mertingen, Alte Brauerei, with works by Felix Mendelssohn and Erwin Schulhoff.

Lollard

As a regular lurker but regrettably infrequent contributor, I hope you will forgive a little self-promotion here. On 5 October, I will be discussing Samuel Coleridge-Taylor's "Nourmahal's Song" at the RCM. This will be followed by its first ever public performance (fortunately not by me, I hasten to add!).

This work was discovered in our Library last year - previously unknown to scholars of Coleridge-Taylor. Its fascinating history involves an orchestration by Louise Kirkby Lunn's son and an attempted performance conducted by Sir Henry Wood, which Coleridge-Taylor's own son, Hiawatha, pulled the plug on at the last minute.

To whet your appetites, a recording is available on YouTube already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjCgBe4YHGo

The talk/performance itself is free to attend: https://www.rcm.ac.uk/events/details/?id=2800916

eschiss1

I will be attending a concert in a month here in Ithaca (October 13) with Florence Price's first string quartet in it played by the Dover Quartet (also Haydn & Shostakovich.)

Simon

Pianist Simon Callaghan announced a few days ago that the London Piano Quartet will be performing the two piano quartets by Ernest Walker (and other works by Bridge and Schumann), on October 29, at the Balliol College Music Society. I certainly wish I could be there to hear that performance!

eschiss1

btw, yes, I know one's had enough Price as a general thing, but I've not heard much of her music myself, so when I hear her string quartet in this concert this week it will at least be new to me. :)