Pejačević Symphony (c. Nelsons)

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 04 April 2022, 22:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Another (broadcast?) performance has now appeared on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqKMp7MGjS8

Performers: Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra/Andris Nelsons

Sounds like a mini-revival of this fine Symphony is happening. If the great LGO can programme it, where might it pop up next?

Mark Thomas

Pejačević is definitely benefiting from today's inclusive zeitgeist - we've already had a very strong performance of the Symphony by the BBC Symphony with Sakiri Oramo. One can but hope, she's certainly a fine composer. and deserves the recognition more than some I could mention.

Alan Howe

Yes - far more than Florence Price. Oops...

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

I thought I'd say it for you. Generous, eh?

eschiss1

So how does this symphony compare to Farrenc, Beach, Senfter 4 (unfortunately the only one of hers recorded), etc., or to near=contemporary symphonies from what would would later be Yugoslavia?

Alan Howe

It's difficult to compare composers from completely different periods, but I'd simply say that none of them produced music of the top rank.

Wheesht

And why would that be? Is there a different reason in each case – lack of an individual enough 'voice', not enough opportunities, etc. - or is it because they were all women?

Febct

I have time for this composer - not top rank, but few are.  Maybe that's one potential ingredient in being "unsung," and thereby qualifying for this forum? 

Anyway - I do enjoy the chamber works - Piano Trio for one. 

Alan Howe

QuoteIs there a different reason in each case

No idea. I just use my ears. It does help, of course, if there is some originality on offer.

Double-A

Quote from: Alan Howe on Sunday 23 October 2022, 19:16No idea. I just use my ears. It does help, of course, if there is some originality on offer.

This is where the crux is:  Our ears hear what our brains want them to hear.  Confirmation bias for all of us on all sides.

Wheesht

Quite. And this is exactly why some kind of blindfold test would be interesting if it could be done.

eschiss1

Along the lines of "The Innocent Ear", where the name of a piece wasn't announced until after it was broadcast.

Alan Howe

QuoteOur ears hear what our brains want them to hear.

Every time I listen I'm hoping to encounter something truly significant. I don't think there's anything wrong in that. When I said I used my ears, what I meant was that I attempt to make judgments on what I hear, without interference from other facts or factors.

Eric is right, though; 'innocent ear' listening is a sound practice for the avoidance of prejudice. It's genuinely difficult, however: before purchasing a recording it's almost inevitable these days that one has (a) read something about it and (b) probably listened to extracts from it.

Anyway, to return to the topic of this thread, I said I thought Pejačević's Symphony was a fine work. I stand by that.