Gernsheim Piano Quartet, Op.47

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 08 September 2022, 21:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Second volume in the series whose first volume had the premiere of his 2nd piano quartet, I think? The virtue of these latter two volumes to me is that they contain second recordings (of the Gernsheim - nth recordings of the Brahms; of course, since I adore Brahms' A major piano quartet, that too is no bad thing- all assuming that the performances and performers are near enough to wonderful, in the Brahms, and at _least_ as good as the other recording of the Gernsheim- which I haven't heard yet (I've skimmed the scores a few times) for all my admiration of his music, but hope to hear both recordings soon. Anyhow, to the point, it's good for there to be two recordings of these works, I think, and hopefully well-performed. )

Alan Howe

This is simply gorgeous music, gorgeously played. A winner!

eschiss1

Febct

The Gernsheim Op. 47 appears on a Brilliant Classics disc, paired with his first PQ (Op.6).  These, for me, are surely acceptable performances and saves my having to buy another version of the Brahms.

eschiss1

The first in the new series does contain the 2nd Gernsheim quartet and may be of more interest.

Febct

Quote from: eschiss1 on Sunday 23 October 2022, 17:30The first in the new series does contain the 2nd Gernsheim quartet and may be of more interest.

Yes, indeed - and thanks.  But, unfortunately, coupled with an even more-recorded Brahms Op.25!

John Boyer

Quote from: eschiss1 on Friday 09 September 2022, 03:17of course, since I adore Brahms' A major piano quartet, that too is no bad thing

I hear you there!

Quote from: Alan Howe on Saturday 22 October 2022, 23:14This is simply gorgeous music, gorgeously played. A winner!

Agreed!  I just listened to it again in the Andreas Kirpal/Diogenes Quartett performance.  A marvelous piece.  Has anyone been able to compare both recordings?