Grieg - second piano concerto?

Started by Christopher, Monday 15 August 2022, 23:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

Did Grieg write a second piano concerto? I just came across this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mDawU3VUtY

It says:  E. Grieg - V. Beliaev Concerto  №2 for piano and orchestra.
Chamber orchestra "The seasons"(Dnipro, Ukraine), conductor Dmitriy Logvin, soloist Artur Nikulin

(The soloist Artur Nikulin is the one who played the Kosenko pc that so many on here have liked.)

ewk

Fascinating, I had not known about Grieg's project of a second piano concerto!

I just discovered that Corentin Boissier has had it in his collection for quite a while already:

Based on the first minutes, I must say I agree with the commenters there – does not sound too much Grieg-ish to me. But still fascinating to hear!
The sketches seem to be relatively scarce – but the main themes at least for the first movement seem to be there, see here. In 1997, there was a competition for Piano concertos incorporating Grieg's sketches where all these and even more completions originate from, see also Wikipedia.

Others have come to quite some different conclusions from Grieg's sketches (which sound a bit more Grieg-ian to me):

IMSLP has a piano reduction of some of the sketches.

Best wishes! ewk

semloh

Yes, although it's a work of imagination based on sketches, much of the Beeckmans version simply quotes themes from Grieg's other works! It's a bit disappointing - but the performance is lovely.

ewk

Thanks Alan for linking the preexisting thread, admitteldly I had not searched before posting...
For others who also did not know of the existence of said thread, most of the other sketch realisations are linked there!

Alan Howe

Not to worry. It was only a vague memory that prompted me to try and find the previous discussion.