Helvi Leiviskä Piano Concerto (1935)

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 22 August 2022, 09:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Great news! A recording is forthcoming (1st September) on Hänssler - from our friend Oliver Triendl, no less!
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/helvi-leiviskae-klavierkonzert-d-moll-op-7/hnum/11531743

Mark Thomas

What a marvel he is, he is due so much gratitude for his services to the unsung.

Gareth Vaughan

Excellent news. Thank you very much, Alan. Herr Triendl is a great champion of the unsung. I am wondering if he might be interested in the works for piano & orchestra of Hungarian composer Jakob Gyulya Major (mss. in Hungarian National Library, and the Concerto Symphonique published with score and parts in Fleisher). Do you have contact information for him?

Mark Thomas

You could PM him, Gareth. He's a member here and he'd get an email notification.

Gareth Vaughan

semloh

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Sunday 25 June 2023, 09:39What a marvel he is, he is due so much gratitude for his services to the unsung.

I'm sure all at UC agree, Mark.  :)

Alan Howe

Audio samples are now available at jpc - see above for link.

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

The finale of Leiviskä's PC in particular exhibits such an exalted level of compositional inspiration that one can only marvel that it is all but unknown. It is surely one of the great piano concertos of the last century.

Oh, and kudos to all concerned - especially our friend Oliver Triendl, who plays heroically!

Petteri Nieminen

As the person who transcribed Leiviskä's Concerto (and 1st symphony) from the remaining manuscripts (piano part messed up by the 1935 soloist and instrument parts), I am very happy that it is reaching the listeners. If anyone is interested in (mostly Scandinavian) woman composers of 1870-1960, I now have access to lots of material and our Society has engraved quite many works, too.

Alan Howe

Thanks for all the great work you've been doing and we look forward to news of further projects which you may be planning.

patently_obvious

There is another disc on its way soon (December), but sadly all I can see is the orchestra and conductor, and "Orchestral Music Vol 1":

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/helvi-leiviska-orchestral-works-vol-1/hnum/11663198

I tried the conductor's website, but it while it mentioned this was in preparation, no details were given.

Can anyone else shine more light on this?

pianoconcerto

The full details with soundclips are on the Chandos website <https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/BI%202701>.  Sinfonia brevis,Op. 30; Orchestral Suite No. 2, Op. 11; and Symphony No. 2, Op. 27. 

patently_obvious

Thank you, looking forward to its release  ;D

Tapiola

It never ceases to amaze me how different we react to music. This piano concerto is nothing but incongruous, prosaic, discursive and terribly long for its unmemorable material. Only the third movement sounded slightly more promising with its uplifting character. I'm curious as to why the rest of people on here find it good.