Louis-Etienne Ernest Reyer 1823- 1909

Started by giles.enders, Sunday 25 September 2022, 14:01

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Louis-Etienne Ernest Reyer.  Born 10.12.1823  Marseilles  Died 15.1.1909 Le Lavandou, Hyeres

His initial musical training was at the Free School of Music in Marseilles.  At the age of sixteen he was sent to live with an uncle, Louis Farrenc in Algeria. It was there that he began to compose songs and a mass, which was performed at the cathedral  in Algiers.  In 1848 he went to Paris to study with his Aunt the composer Louise Farrenc. There he met Flaubert and Gautier both of whom had an interest in oriental subjects, which was to influence on some of his music.
His original surname was Rey.
There is more biographical material elsewhere on this site.

Orchestra

Le Selem , Oriental symphony in 5 tableaux for soprano, baritone and orchestra.  Words by Theophile Gautier  1850
Marche Tzigane  1865  (also for piano)

Chamber

Duettino for  oboe and cello  pub. by Journal de Musique

Piano

Petite Fantaisie in E flat major  pub. by Choudens 1877
Pensee Melodique in E flat major  pub. by Choudens  1878
Dance Polonaise  pub. by Gaulois  1888

Song

A un berceau  1853
Tanko le Fondeur  1860
Vieille chanson du jeune tempes  words by Victor Hugo    1860
Pour quoi  ne m'aimez-vous  pub. by Choudens  1869
Voguons  pub. by Choudens  1869
Tristesse  poem by Theophile Gautier  pub. by Gaulois  1884
L'homme  poem by G Boyer 1892
Trois Sonnets  poems by Camille du Locle
Le Dernier Rendez-vous  words by Camille du Locle 1896

Ballet

Sacountala, in two acts based on a story by Theophile Gautier  1858

Opera

Maitre Wolfram 1 act opera  libretto by Joseph Mery  1854
La Statue  3 act opera  inspired by Arabian Nights.  libretto by Michel Carre & Jules Barbiers  pub. by Choudens  1861
Erostrate  2 act opera  pub. by Choudens  1862
Sigurd  4 act opera  based on Scandanavian legends (the Ring) pub. by G.  Hartmann  1884
Salammbo  5 act opera  based on a novel by Gustave Flaubert  pub. by Choudens  1890

Choral

Mass  for  arrival of the Duc d'Aumale 1847
Choer des buveurs et choers desassieges  1848
Victoire  cantata  1859
L'Union des Artes: Ave Maria, Salve Regina O Salutaris. Hymn
Chant des paysans  from Les Volontaires de 1814 by V. Sejour  1861
L'hymne du Rhin words by Joseph Mery  cantata for soprano ,chorus and orchestra  1865
La Madeleine au desert  for bass-voice and orchestra  1874 

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Is that Théodore or Théophile Gautier? (There are some 125-odd works (or work pages containing, etc) @ IMSLP with texts by, or based on works by, the latter. All of the songs of Berlioz' Les nuits d'été, for example.)

eschiss1

None of the "Sakuntala" operas and stage works I can find besides the one you list seem to be based on Gautier's, btw, several others (like Alfano's and Weingartner's operas) apparently being based, according to their libretti, on composer translations of the original 5th century (I think) Kalidasa source. Interesting.

Gareth Vaughan

Simon

Quote from: giles.enders on Sunday 25 September 2022, 14:01Chamber

Duettino for  oboe and cello  pub.by Journal de Musique

I've been looking for that one for a while. No luck so far among the digital libraries I've explored. Anyone luckier?

eschiss1

I think Gallica has it, yea. They have the volume of JdM it appears in. Then one downloads. Takes some searching.

Simon

Quote from: eschiss1 on Sunday 25 September 2022, 23:33I think Gallica has it, yea. They have the volume of JdM it appears in. Then one downloads. Takes some searching.

Thanks Eric! I remember seeing that specific journal on Gallica some times ago, but I believe the sheet music wasn't scanned yet. I'm glad it's there after all!

eschiss1

Actually, I'm not sure if the sheet music is scanned yet, I think I just assumed, whoops. Should not have! Will check...

eschiss1

Ah, here's some of it? part of the cello part (press right-arrow for start of the piano score, etc.)

tpaloj

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 26 September 2022, 04:29Ah, here's some of it? part of the cello part (press right-arrow for start of the piano score, etc.)
Looks like the whole piece to me (see final barline at the end of the piano score), and the cello part is complete too. The oboe part is also a few pages further in, after a Berceuse and Bonne nuit scores by other composers.

giles.enders

My mistake, should be Theophile G. will correct my posting. 

eschiss1

tpaloj: well good! -if- you want to and need some assistant(s) uploading it to imslp... :)

tpaloj

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 26 September 2022, 21:06tpaloj: well good! -if- you want to and need some assistant(s) uploading it to imslp... :)
Returning to this Duettino, actually I took the initiative and uploaded a re-typed score and parts on IMSLP, seeing the BNF scans were in pretty bad quality and the oboe and cello parts already on IMSLP were not much better.

Typing this short, nice piece was a good change of pace for a lot of orchestral music I have worked on recently. Any changes from the original are made for clarity's sake and a couple of obvious copyist mistakes have been amended. One can print the score and parts as A4 and perform it as you will.

Ernest Reyer's Duettino (IMSLP)

eschiss1

one correction-the parts all belong under the parts tab (moved) :) anyhow, thanks!!