Fredrik Wilhelm Gomnæs (1868–1925)

Started by tpaloj, Thursday 29 September 2022, 21:40

Previous topic - Next topic

tpaloj

Fredrik Wilhelm Gomnæs (1868–1925) was a now forgotten Norwegian composer born in Hole, Buskerud.

Gomnæs was a musician, conductor and composer. He studied with Johan Hennum and Iver Holter as well as at the Hochschule für Musik in Berlin in 1891. He was a cellist at the Christiania Theater (1892–1898), a musical instructor in Hamar (1898–1911), and from 1911 until his death affiliated with the armed forces as the conductor of the 4th Brigades Music Corps in Bergen. I couldn't find any comprehensive catalogue of his compositions.

The Library of Norway has digitized 19 of Gomnaes' manuscripts. These include:
- the Symphony in A minor
- Asgaardsreien, a symphonic poem for orchestra and men's chorus
- Complete first movement of a String Quartet (1891)
- Several scores of military band music

Symphony in A minor

This symphony was performed a couple of times during the composer's lifetime. I have no info whether the score was published or not.

It's likely you won't find the thematic material in this confidently orchestrated opening movement that interesting in itself, but once it gets going, you'd be amazed: this is highly enjoyable music, with some striking use of sequences and exciting, dramatic direction. I'm yet to find out if the rest of the movements hold up, but this is certainly one hell of an opening. I highly recommend giving it a listen!

YOUTUBE (1st movement): 1st Movement link
You can follow the score here: Digitization of composer's autograph

Mark Thomas

Thanks, Tuomas. I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Alan Howe

This link tells that the Symphony was premiered in 1908:
https://www.nb.no/sheet-music/product/symphony-a-minor-2/

Doesn't the music build up an exciting head of steam by the close of the movement? Thanks - great stuff, Tuomas.

eschiss1

and FLP/Fleisher has the (published, by Wilhelm Hansen) material, movements, and scoring (of the symphony) (redundant given the information already provided, unless the published version differs from the holograph... as happens!!): here.

According to Aarbog, Norsk musikforlag published the symphony in 1919. (See bottom of page!)

eschiss1

Records International back in Aug. 2017 listed a disc containing his "Cantata for the Centenary Celebration of the Oslo Military Society", I see; the disc is called "Norwegian Music for Choir and Band", on the interesting label Lawo Classics.

tpaloj

Thanks Mark & Alan, it's some vividly powerful stuff indeed.

Quote from: eschiss1 on Friday 30 September 2022, 01:13and FLP/Fleisher has the (published, by Wilhelm Hansen) material, movements, and scoring (of the symphony) (redundant given the information already provided, unless the published version differs from the holograph... as happens!!): here.(See bottom of page!)
Thanks so much Eric! I didn't think to check at Fleisher in this case. Wonderful.

QuoteRecords International back in Aug. 2017 listed a disc containing his "Cantata for the Centenary Celebration of the Oslo Military Society", I see; the disc is called "Norwegian Music for Choir and Band", on the interesting label Lawo Classics.
This must be the only recording of Gomnaes' music as of now? I should also point out that the MS materials for his "Asgaardsreien" symphonic poem were digitized and uploaded @ Library of Norway's site only quite recently, which might indicate that someone is looking into performing/editing/recording that work. Let's hope that's the case!