Schumann, Georg (1866-1952) "Liebesfrühling"

Started by Reverie, Wednesday 28 September 2022, 21:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Reverie

Most of Georg Schumann's output was for the voice but there are, to my knowledge, orchestral recordings of Symphony No 1 (1887), Symphony No 2 (1905) and the Lebensfreude Overture (1911).

He was an almost exact contemporary of Richard Strauss and indeed his music shows similarities in it's sparkling orchestration and rapid changes of tempo.  From 1900, the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra was Schumann's preferred orchestra for world and German premieres of his works.

Liebesfrühling, Op.28 dates from about 1901-1902. It's in one movement and lasts for about 12 mins. It's exudes a wonderful "joie de vivre" and is a must listen for any lovers of late romantic orchestral fare.

Liebesfrühling:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQg7rW_e65c

eschiss1

I wasn't aware most of his output was for the voice, since a lot of his chamber music's also been recorded, and several of his orchestral variations sets too, I think.

Alan Howe

On the whole my impression of Georg is of a more conservative composer than Strauss. The fact that he wrote a non-programmatic Symphony in 1905 (F minor, Op.42) rather confirms this. Strauss had long given up that type of symphonic composition.

Thanks, though, for 'Liebesfrühling' - a lovely piece. Personally, I don't hear much Strauss in it; consider, for example, that the latter had written Ein Heldenleben a few years before and was about to embark upon his Symphonia Domestica - which are surely much more radical pieces.

Reverie

Quote from: eschiss1 on Wednesday 28 September 2022, 21:41I wasn't aware most of his output was for the voice, since a lot of his chamber music's also been recorded, and several of his orchestral variations sets too, I think.

I used this resource Eric:

http://www.georgschumanngesellschaft.de/de_werkverzeichnis.html

Apart from chamber music there seems to be a lot of choral music / arrangements ?? I haven't the time to sift through and make a worklist etc..

eschiss1

True (this is true of the most famous Schumann, too. Also a lot of Lieder, of course, in the latter case, and a fair number in the former.)

Reverie

http://www.georgschumanngesellschaft.de/de_werkverzeichnis.html
Quote from: Alan Howe on Wednesday 28 September 2022, 22:10Thanks, though, for 'Liebesfrühling' - a lovely piece. Personally, I don't hear much Strauss in it; consider, for example, that the latter had written Ein Heldenleben a few years before and was about to embark upon his Symphonia Domestica - which are surely much more radical pieces.

Alan. I didn't expect Georg to parody Strauss and never suggested it I think - indeed as I worked through this intricate score I came to the conclusion he was composing a celebration of Spring in its glory rather than some classic Lustspiel overture.

Alan Howe

QuoteHe was an almost exact contemporary of Richard Strauss and indeed his music shows similarities in it's sparkling orchestration and rapid changes of tempo.

I'm sorry if I misled you. What I was trying to say was that Georg Schumann's music isn't really like Strauss. He's more conservative, which one can hear quite easily when comparing this very nice piece 'Liebesfrühling' with the more radical compositions Strauss was writing in roughly the same period. I wasn't looking for 'Strauss-isms' in Schumann's work because they're just not there.

BerlinExpat

Georg Schumann's oratorio 'Ruth' will be performed by the Berlin Philharmonic Choir on March 5, 2023 at 8 p.m

Marcelina Beucher
Julie Marie Sundal
Jonas Boehm
Hanno Müller-Brachmann
Brandenburg State Orchestra Frankfurt
Conductor: Jörg-Peter Weigle

'Ruth' - a moving story of female power

"O night, you starry, you beautiful summer night ..." - this highly romantic song sounds in 'Ruth', the opus magnum by Georg Schumann, the long-standing director of the Sing-Akademie zu Berlin. First performed in 1908, 'Ruth' is a jewel of late romantic tonal sensuality, was considered one of the most popular oratorios and was a worldwide success. Schumann's publisher proclaimed: "Everyone, from a teenager to the coarse philistine, has to croon the leitmotif when they get up and go to bed."

During the Nazi years people were bothered by the Jewish subject and so in the post-war period the work was unjustly forgotten.

eschiss1

Almost the same list, different soprano, performed it in March 2020 (unless that was cancelled because of COVID?), and there used to be a broadcast of it in our downloads folder pre-2012, though I assume a commercial recording of this 1909 work would be good too. Thanks!

Mark Thomas

Quotethere used to be a broadcast of it in our downloads folder pre-2012
It's still available in our archive here.

BerlinExpat

The scheduled performance in March 2020 was cancelled because of COVID. Other cancelled concerts have not been resurrected so my inkling is that a recording will be made.