Florence Price: Songs of the Oak / Concert Overtures

Started by chriss, Monday 10 October 2022, 13:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebubu

Florence Price seems to be the new "thing" à la mode.  We had her "concert overture #2", a few days ago in concert in Rouen... I was not impressed...

John Boyer

Quote from: Ebubu on Friday 14 October 2022, 23:10Florence Price seems to be the new "thing" à la mode.  We had her "concert overture #2", a few days ago in concert in Rouen... I was not impressed...
Yes, a while ago there was a lively discussion on the board about this. It got to be a sort of red cape issue ("Niagara Falls!  Slowly I turned, step by step...") until we all agreed to just let it rest.

Alan Howe

Ebubu

Oh so sorry I missed that.  Didn't mean to wave the red cape ! ;)

Alan Howe

No problem. A search will reveal the gory details...

Ebubu

Good. I did a search, and it was worthwhile.  I agree on pretty much all points of the discussion, and there were valuable comments on the "politicisation of the arts" (and music particularly).  One further example of this is how we have recently seen blossoming a dig for "ukrainian composers" (Silvestrov ?), or on some YT videos the mention that such and such composer previously known as a "russian composer" suddenly needed an extra comment on "born in Ukraine"...
Anyway... (sigh  ::) ....)