News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Symphonies of Karl Weigl

Started by badams@nl.rogers.com, Tuesday 18 October 2022, 14:48

Previous topic - Next topic

badams@nl.rogers.com

Back around the time that Capriccio released it's recordings of Weigl's 1st, 4th and 6th symphonies I formed the possibly erroneous impression that this heralded a complete cycle of the symphonies.  Although I have a vague recollection of stumbling across an online reference somewhere to a planned recording of the 3rd, Capriccio has obviously released no further recordings.

So does anybody know anything more about this?  Does Capriccio have any further plans for a Weigl symphonic cycle, or was the whole thing simply a figment of my imagination from the beginning?   ;D

Brian

Alan Howe

No.5 is on BIS, of course, leaving only No.3 to be recorded commercially.

We have No.3 in our Downloads board:
https://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,6463.msg68253.html#msg68253

Gareth Vaughan

Is there a commercial recording of No. 2?

Alan Howe

Oops! My mistake. Apologies.

Nos.2 and 3 remain unrecorded commercially.

Ilja

There are recordings of two movements of Symphony No. 2:

3. Pro defunctis (Adagio) (University of Chicago SO - Barbara Schubert)
4. Zwischenspiel (also the Intermezzo fantastique pour orchestre) (Berlin RSO - Thomas Sanderling)

As the first takes about 24 minutes and the second 14, I imagine that the entire work is quite extensive.

eschiss1

Here is more info on symphony 2. (There's audio linked at the bottom from the quartet no.2 with viola d'amore but I think that's a typo [or a moray.])

Edit: yes, Karlweigl.org says duration estimated ca.45 minutes.

CelesteCadenza

A recording of the Symphony no. 2:III Adagio 'Pro defunctis' is available at archive.org with a hand-written note that someone contacted the conductor, Barbara Schubert, and that only this movement was performed at that concert:
https://archive.org/details/cd_francaix-korn-bresgen-weigl-compositions_jean-francaix-peter-jona-korn-cesar-bresge

More of Weigl is available at that site:
https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22Karl+Weigl%22

der79sebas

I could have sworn that there existed a cpo-recording of Weigl's symphony 3 (combined with the final slow movement of symphony 4), but neither do I find it in my CD shelves nor in the internet. So my brain seems to play me a truly cruel prank...

Anyway, I have a strong feeling that Karl Weigl is more a master of small forms, whereas his symphonies appear to me rather pointless.

eschiss1

Performances were made of at least parts of 3 and 4 (it was, I think, declared mistakenly- fortunately- that only some of 4 was even performable anymore) and we had those recordings, meant for cpo release, as downloads.

John Boyer

Yes, I thought the Capriccio was going to include all six.  I recall that the Weigl Society mentioned that the 2nd had been recorded.

eschiss1

btw karlweigl.org is a bit out of date, as the recordings section of the page for symphony no.4 is still empty, for example. And under symphony no.1 (in E, 1908; the Free Library - not the Fleisher section - loaned me that huge score once :) ) only the 1982 performance conducted by Ron Daniels is listed (which I think is on YouTube) (and earlier ones are listed too, that is), not the Capriccio CD.

badams@nl.rogers.com

Thanks to all for your responses.  :D