News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Léon Boëllmann

Started by scarpia, Tuesday 18 October 2022, 20:17

Previous topic - Next topic

scarpia

I just heard his Variations Symphoniques for Cello and Orchestra, Op. 23 on youtube. Terrible sound quality though. Too bad. It could use a good modern recording.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty-bt8hiAoQ

His best-known composition is Suite gothique, which is a staple of the organ repertoire, especially its concluding Toccata. Is is? I don't know organ except Bach and Widor though.  Does that make him sung? Looks like there is a recording of it with the Orchestre symphonique de Mulhouse on the Fuga Libera label.

Ilja

You might try this performance, which is quite a bit better in terms of sound.

dmitterd

I can certainly vouch for the Orchestre symphonique de Mulhouse recording - the playing is excellent, and the unexpected treat for me was Quatre pièces brèves. Readers may be interested to know that I've finally published my compilation of things Boëllmann, the main part of which is a parallel French/English version of a biography published in 1901. Also included are a few photos from the BnF collection, as well as a list of works. You can order it here.

kind regards,
Daniel

scarpia

I just got the CD. I had amazon points to use. I will listen tonight.

dmitterd

Quote from: scarpia on Friday 28 October 2022, 20:30I just got the CD. I had amazon points to use. I will listen tonight.

I'd be interested in your thoughts!