Holbrooke horn trio

Started by Dylan, Tuesday 26 October 2010, 10:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Dylan

Interesting to see another Holbrooke piece turning up in a surprising new release:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-Three-Brahms/dp/B00447XDB8/ref=sr_1_10?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1288084361&sr=1-10
And again, from a non-UK company: promising!

Dylan

Finally got around to hearing this. Holst famously avoided violin sonatas, because he didn't like the sound of a violin and piano, and it's a distaste I share. Throw in a horn and you have, to my mind, an even less appealing combination of sounds! (Although if it was good enough for Brahms...) However, the sheer warmth of the music won me over; a sprightly, somewhat salon-ish first movement, some lusciously romantic melodies in the slow movement (what a fine melodist Holbrooke was!) and a jaunty finale with, to my ears, more than a hint of the Edwardian Music Hall about it. A substantial piece of around 25 mins, and if not a major chamber work, a thoroughly enjoyable one!

Pengelli

Yes,I noticed that one & then I forgot. Well done to you for bringing it up & nil points to me for not!  Okay,it's only a minor piece & one small item on a cd filled with other composers,but the fact that another label & one 'across the pond' spells hope that things really ARE hotting up for Holbrooke!
Incidentally,anyone know what happened to Cameo Classics 'big' plans for this composer?
I know that a cpo cd is due for release (?) and Chandos have said they are interested in Holbrooke,although,it should be noted that they told me the same thing in a letter,at least,twelve years ago. Still,things have changed a bit since then!

Pengelli

The MP3 is a bit cheaper,thank goodness,so I won't have to take a mortgage out.

Pengelli

I noticed a few cds of Theodore Dubois on Amazon,(one of the 'other composers' on the cd. Anyone here got any 'Dubois' in their collection?
Incidentally,at 25min I think the Holbrooke should be worth downloading. Thanks for the review!

eschiss1

earliest Horn, violin piano trio I know of offhand is by Czerny (his op.105 in E-flat, which like several other works for this medium may also be played  by a standard piano trio- in which form it's his first piano trio...) but there might be earlier ones. I'll keep the Holbrooke in mind of course and thanks! (Czerny op.166 and 173 were published by 1828 or so, so op.105 is probably rather earlier.)
Don't recall hearing any Dubois - I think...- but know about him, reviews, etc. (Wikipedia, IMSLP, 1837-1924, French Romantic, interesting-looking worklist @ Wikipedia (and chamber works and organ works at the latter), director of the Conservatoire from 1896 to 1905, Fauré took over from him.
Eric

Gareth Vaughan

Holbrooke's Horn Trio is amongst his most appealing works - it's a real gem. Naxos are due to release a recording of it soon, coupled with the 1st and 2nd violin sonatas (the second being merely the piano/violin score of the "Grasshopper" concerto without the fiendishly difficult cadenzas for the soloist). I'm trying to interest Naxos in doing more of Jo's chamber music, especially the extremely beautiful and appealing sextet for piano & winds. No English composer of this period composed as much chamber music for wind instruments as did Josef - and he wrote extremely well for them.

eschiss1

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Wednesday 26 January 2011, 22:31
No English composer of this period composed as much chamber music for wind instruments as did Josef - and he wrote extremely well for them.
Gordon Jacob comes to mind but I'm guessing he was later... hrm, well, born 17 years later. And maybe Holbrooke composed more still. :)
Eric

Pengelli

Whoever composed more or less,I'm looking forward to that Naxos release. It could also save me a few bob! Still,they should make interesting comparisons.  The fact that it's on a super budget label like Naxos should help encourage interest in this composer. (I bought their recent cd of Cyril Scott Violin Sonata's & it was one of the best recordings & performances I've ever heard of that composer. I hope you succeed Gareth. By the way,did you have anything to do with the Albany recording or is it just an example of their own initiative? (They've done some tremendous work for neglected American composers).
Gordon Jacobs is,of course,another unjustly neglected composer.