Marschner Overtures & Stage Music (vol.1)

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 28 October 2022, 22:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

UnsungMasterpieces

On the 2nd of December, Naxos released what is apparently the first volume in a series "Overtures & Stage Music" by Heinrich Marschner (1795-1861).

More details can be found here:
https://www.naxos.com/CatalogueDetail/?id=8.574449

Alan Howe

Thanks for the reminder. As you can see, I've merged the two threads.

UnsungMasterpieces

I gave the album a listen on Spotify today. The works featured are clearly some of his earliest works, so they are more conservative than Der Vampyr and Hans Heiling for which he is best known.

My favourite here is the ballet from "Schön Ella", which is incidental music. I found the waltz-like music to be very enjoyable to say the least. It's also a nice surprise to hear the overture to "Der Holzdieb" in much better sound quality, since the recording of the opera itself is quite old (from the 1960s if I remember correctly).

Anyhow, since this is volume 1, I'm very curious about what could be included on a volume 2. Perhaps some works of his later period?

Alan Howe

Just a quick reminder, if I may. Please check before posting whether a thread has already been started on the topic in question.

UnsungMasterpieces

Yes, I understand. I should've checked, apologies for that. :)

Alan Howe

No problem. It just makes less work for the moderators.

DarioSalviConductor

QuoteAnyhow, since this is volume 1, I'm very curious about what could be included on a volume 2. Perhaps some works of his later period?
YES! ;)