Raff, Juon (& Arensky) for 2 pianos

Started by Martin Eastick, Sunday 06 November 2022, 13:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Eastick

I have just noticed this, an important release with world premieres by Raff (Op207a) and Paul Juon's "Jotenheimen" Op71, suitably rounded off with Arensky's ubiquitous, but always welcome, Op15 - all for 2 pianos , of course! https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/joachim-raff-paul-juon-anton-arensky/hnum/11080633

Mark Thomas

Thanks, Martin. Yet another bicentennial addition to the Raff discography. There are already, or soon will be, two recordings of Op.207 in the version for piano quintet (Op.207b).

eschiss1

Mark Thomas

I'm not that enthusiastic, I'm afraid. Both the Arensky Suite and the Raff are taken at a more leisurely pace than the competition (Coombs and Munro on Hyperion for the Arensky and Il Trittico on Divox for the piano quintet version of the Raff) and they lose a lot of their charm without gaining anything else in the process. It all sounds safe and pedestrian. I have no comparison for Juon's work which wasn't really my cup of tea anyway, but that's just me I appreciate. As a collector I'm pleased to have a recording of the Raff in its version for two pianos, but that's about it.