Frans Coenen (1826-1904) Symphony No.2

Started by Alan Howe, Sunday 09 October 2022, 17:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

QuoteThe latter one

I assume you mean Johannes...

Alan Howe

Reply on YouTube to my query concerning the identity of the composer:

QuoteThis is a new edition taken from the handwritten score by Frans Coenen; his name is on the front and after the last bar.

I have asked whether they have any details about date of composition and key signature - and also whether they know anything about Frans' 1st Symphony.

Ilja

I've had a look, and the musical output of Frans jr. is pretty insignificant (some piano works, not much), which rules him out as the composer of the symphony. Franciscus sr. it is, then - probably.

Alan Howe

OK thanks, Ilja.

So, just to be clear: we're talking here about the Symphony No.2 by Franciscus Hendrikus Coenen (Rotterdam, 26 December 1826 - Leiden, 24 January 1904), known as Frans Coenen Sr.
(See Wikipedia article in Dutch - link in first post)

eschiss1

Edit: oh, ok, Frans Coenen jr. IS the son of Frans Coenen sr., though again usually? often? jr/sr is reserved for exact same long name. However, my mistake as to their relation...

Alan Howe

AtzeD

Eduard Reeser, who was an authority on Dutch music in the nineteenth century, mentions in his book 'Een eeuw Nederlandse muziek, 1815-1915' (A Century of Dutch Music, 1815-1915) (1950) a Symphony in F Major by Frans Coenen, ,,which remains in manuscript''. To add to the confusion: the foto used in the YouTube-video of the symphony of Frans Coenen is attributed in the book of Reeser to Johannes Meinardus Coenen...

Alan Howe