Paul Lacombe: Symphony No.2/etc.

Started by Reverie, Thursday 17 November 2022, 15:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Reverie

Paul Lacombe was born in Carcassonne, a hilltop town in southern France's Languedoc area. His family were wealthy linen merchants and consequently he was given the best tuition available in the area.

Lacombe was an admirer of the music of Georges Bizet, particularly the opera The Pearl Fishers. In 1866 he began a correspondence with Bizet and asked him to help with his composition. Bizet accepted, and for two years, from 1866 to 1868, compositional advice and corrections were exchanged via post. Bizet wrote to Lacombe in 1867 encouraging him to write a symphonic work. Lacombe produced the Ouverture symphonique, Op. 22, which was premiered in 1876, a performance Bizet never heard due to his untimely death the previous year.

Though Lacombe's music was well appreciated among fellow composers and musicians, it never gained a widespread popularity - this was largely a result of his unwillingness to leave his hometown of Carcassonne for Paris. He was a prolific composer with more than 150 works, a large volume of piano music, concertante works, chamber music and some 120 songs, many of which still remain in manuscript.

Symphony No. 2 in D major, Op. 34 (1882)

The opening horn melody serves as an Idee Fixe throughout the whole symphony.

The work is in four movements. 1.Allegro 2.Adagio 3.Allegro Vivo (Scherzo) 4.Allegro Con Moto

LINK:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GIrlboXS0w

Alan Howe

This looks intriguing. I'm greatly looking forward to listening to it.

eschiss1

I had to check whether it was him or Louis Lacombe, but yes, it's Paul Lacombe whose chamber music is beginning to be recorded lately, judging from mentions on the Rec&Broadcasts forum. I'd been wondering about his symphonies, so thanks.

Alan Howe

...now available from Dutton: https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLX7413

Rapsodie sur des airs du Pays d'Oc, Op. 128 (1906)
Suite for piano and orchestra, Op. 52 (1890)
Concerto for horn and orchestra (ca. 1875)
(edited by Martin Yates - 2021)
Symphony No. 2 in D major, Op. 34 (1878–1881)

(World Premiere Recordings)

Victor Sangiorgio (piano)
Peter Francomb French (horn)

BBC Concert Orchestra
conducted by
Martin Yates

Alan Howe

Lacombe's Symphony No.2 in D major (1878-1881) is a very beautiful work of no mean power, just under half an hour in length and, on first hearing, would seem to be a major addition to the French symphonic tradition - certainly on a par with, say, Lalo's much more well-known essay in the form. The booklet notes tell us that the work hints at cyclical form and that César Franck was enthusiastic about it.

I'd be suprised if this doesn't turn out to be one of my discoveries of 2024. Do buy this recording - it's superbly done! Kudos to Martin Yates!

4candles

Very pleased to see the Suite here, which I suggested to Mike Spring alongside a couple more concertante works by Lacombe some years ago.

I'd heard good things about Lacombe, and have listened to some of his shorter works, so this is a good opportunity to try some more major works out for myself. I suspect I will be well rewarded for doing so!

terry martyn

Dutton won't sell directly to Spain, and I am having to wait until Presto or jpc list it. Other Amazon offerings are pricy.

Alan Howe

As far as I can see Dutton do ship to Europe. Why not send them an email if you are having problems? - info@duttonvocalion.co.uk

terry martyn

Thanks,Alan.  I have sent them an email, on the offchance that they might ship to me.  If they tell me that they certainly don't ship to Spain, then I will report back.

Alan Howe

terry martyn

Simon from Dutton has confirmed that I could,in theory,buy it, but I would be liable to VAT in Spain. He advises against a direct purchase, and suggests that I get someone to courier it over from the UK.  I have also read the shipping notes, which hint of considerable delays on arrival in Spain.  All this accords with experiences I had in trying to obtain Dutton CDs during lockdown.   I do not intend to repeat them,and will just have to wait  for Presto or jpc,or,eventually, to bite the bullet of a more expensive Amazon purchase with the certainty of delivery.

Ilja

Amazon.de/.nl/.fr/.es however, are not. Personally, I'd wait until JPC gets it.

Oops! I see that Amazon.de does list the CD.

Alan Howe

Trouble is, you end up checking websites every day...