Thomas de Hartmann Cello Concerto

Started by Ilja, Tuesday 13 December 2022, 12:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilja

From roughly the same period (moderator's edit: i.e. as the Symphonie-Poème No.1) is his rather excellent Cello Concerto, here in a performance by the MDR Symphony, with Matt Haimovitz as the cellist, and Dennis Russell Davies conducting.

Alan Howe

Hi Ilja,

I can't find the link to the concert ('listen' doesn't work). Can you help, please?

jdperdrix

The "listen" button redirects you to the page of the concert. Then click on "MDR KULTUR Konzert" below the picture. The cello concerto starts at 5:05.

Alan Howe

Aha! That's very helpful - thanks!

On first hearing, I'm reminded of Ernest Bloch - e.g. Schelomo and his Violin Concerto. I'm inclined to think this might be a major contribution to the cello concerto repertoire. At nearly 37 minutes it's certainly a good-sized piece!

Mark Thomas

A set of mp3s made from the broadcast is now available in our Downloads Board here.

Alan Howe

semloh

Yes, thank you, Mark. I know nothing of this man's music, so I am looking forward to listening to this with a 'tabula rasa'.  :D

patently_obvious

Quote from: Ilja on Tuesday 13 December 2022, 12:23From roughly the same period (moderator's edit: i.e. as the Symphonie-Poème No.1) is his rather excellent Cello Concerto, here in a performance by the MDR Symphony, with Matt Haimovitz as the cellist, and Dennis Russell Davies conducting.
Now available on Pentatone https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9535369--de-hartmann-cello-concerto#related

Mark Thomas

Thanks. I've deleted it from our Downloads Board.

der79sebas

I am not really happy with this release of the live recording of de Hartmann's cello concerto, as I had assumed that a studio recording (with the same forces) had been planned, maybe together with another work to make up for a full CD. So, does this mean that the "Thomas de Hartmann project" has come to a stop? But maybe I am too pessimistic...
By the way, in a few days a concert including a suite from de Hartmann's once successful ballet "Scarlet Flower" is due to be streamed: https://bsolive.com/events/rachmaninovs-rhapsody-poole

der79sebas