Josef Holbrooke Symphonic Poems

Started by sdtom, Tuesday 23 June 2009, 16:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Pengelli

Beecham described Holbrooke as being handicapped by
'a total want of critical faculty',didn't he.

Pengelli

Gareth Vaughan

There may well have been something in what Beecham said, though he was prone to exaggeration. Nevertheless, Beecham championed Holbrooke's music and conducted quite a lot of it - not least, the "Cauldron" trilogy of operas. And it was Beecham who accompanied Holbrooke to France to secure a bass sarrusaphone player for "Apollo and the Seaman". He also praised Josef's ability to write a "big, heartfelt tune".

Mark Thomas

Gareth, have you had any feedback from cpo on how sales of the CD are going and, in particular, whether we can anticipate any more?

sdtom

There is one customer for sure on this side of the pond.

Thomas

Gareth Vaughan

No direct feedback from CPO yet; I will email Franz Groborz and see what he has to say. But Jean Holbrooke told me about a month ago that they had asked her if she had orchestral parts for the Symphony No. 3 "Ships",  The Raven, and the Variations on "Auld Lang Syne". She has, of course - but Jean is too schooled in disappointment in these matters and warned: "Don't get your hopes up. It's only an enquiry." That would be a great disk, however.

Pengelli

If Bantock can do it so can Holbrooke;although his muse
is darker and,perhaps,more idiosyncratic.

Pengelli

His obsession with Poe might help attract a following.

sdtom

You would think that the Poe tie in would be a natural.  I hope that the enquiry will result in another CD.  I liked the playing and recording from CPO.

Mark Thomas

Yes, let's hope that it's not "nevermore"...

Pengelli

Boom!Boom! Good one Mark! The tone poem gets the
atmosphere of the poem,perfectly.

sdtom

Pengelli

Is Holbrooke's book, 'British Composers' worth getting
hold of, I wonder? I keep thinking about buying it.

Gareth Vaughan

I think so. It will give you a good idea of the old boy's pugnacious style!

sdtom

Quote from: Pengelli on Wednesday 26 August 2009, 16:45
Is Holbrooke's book, 'British Composers' worth getting
hold of, I wonder? I keep thinking about buying it.

I'll have to look for it at the library and see.  Is there a chapter about himself?  I was just paging through another (don't remember name of author) and I think it was 20th century British composers and Josef wasn't included.

Thomas