News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Magnard's Symphonies

Started by terry martyn, Thursday 15 December 2022, 22:21

Previous topic - Next topic

terry martyn

I referred elsewhere that I have failed to warm to Magnard's earlier symphonies (I have possessed an LP of his Fourth for many years and find even that heavy going). I have a feeling that Alan is up to the challenge of pointing out the error of my ways.

eschiss1

While I enjoy Plasson's recording, which I am assuming is the LP in question (I know of no other recordings of Op.21 from even the edge of the LP era, whereas the 3rd symphony was also recorded by Ansermet- possibly the first Magnard symphony recording I ever heard, on WFLN-FM back in college, I believe), there seems to be some consensus that Ossonce's recording of the C# minor symphony on Hyperion is preferable to Plasson's.
While I adore the 3rd and 4th symphonies, I also find myself returning often to his cello sonata (Op.20 in A, 1908-10, written soon after his opera Bérénice (which wasn't premiered until 1911. Not sure what he was composing between 1910 and 1912, between composing op.20 and starting op.21- maybe revising the op.7 and Bérénice (his only published and premiered not-posthumously opera) and other works, which were reprinted, premiered, etc. in 1911, I think...)

Alan Howe

I won't be pointing out the error of anyone's ways (!). All I'd say, especially in comparison with Foerster, is that Magnard is a vastly more individual and interesting composer. Certainly Symphonies 3 and 4 are masterpieces (and very original), and there are sufficient works in other genres to lament the fact of his tragic early death at the hands of German invaders in 1914. He was only 49.

For those who don't know them, here are Symphony No.3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZt7GbwJCm0
...and No.4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDwfH5EsicA
(both conducted by Michel Plasson)

jdperdrix

Fortunately, in the recent years, all of Magnard's music has been recorded, except his operas Yolande (only the reduction for voices and piano has survived and, contrary to Guercoeur, Ropartz did not reorchester it) and Berenice (available as mp3 from a performance in Marseille in 2001).
To me, his masterpieces are his last two symphonies, the Chant funèbre, the violin sonata and the string quartet.

semloh

Quote from: jdperdrix on Friday 16 December 2022, 15:39To me, his masterpieces are his last two symphonies, the Chant funèbre, the violin sonata and the string quartet.

Same for me. I bought the Toulouse/Plasson discs when they first appeared, after hearing the Chant funèbre on the radio, and have enjoyed them immensely.

Ilja

While the Plasson discs are very good, I feel that the recent Bollon recordings are a worthwhile upgrade; his more refined orchestral phrasing adds substantial depth to Magnard's works, in particular to the two early symphonies. The whole thing is on Youtube too, in case you want to explore them.

The Malmö/Sanderling recordings are, to me, a distant third.

terry martyn

i will take a look, and educate my palette