Hugo Kauder Symphony No.1 (1920-1)

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 30 December 2022, 16:54

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Btw, Mr. Howe, you have responded well to his music in the past (judging from a skim of posts from 2015-7 or so) but I don't have any real knowledge of his music either!
Happy 2023!

Mark Thomas

I'm happy to let Mr Botstein have the last word.

eschiss1

Well... if he chooses to add a commercial recording of the oboe concerto I will not complain.

Alan Howe

Ilja

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Wednesday 04 January 2023, 08:09I'm happy to let Mr Botstein have the last word.
We'll have to, until someone else has a go at it.

Alan Howe

Very unlikely, I'd've thought.

In any case, I think we've established the 30-minute figure as a 'guesstimate', i.e. as involving a mixture of reasoned  calculation and sheer guesswork - for which Botstein was in no way responsible.

Alan Howe

Botstein's recording has now been announced - it'll be available on the Avie label from 24th May:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/the-lost-generation/hnum/11833381
More details here:
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9619812--the-lost-generation-apostel-kauder-busch

The timing for the Symphony is 40:09.

eschiss1

Droosbury

Got my copy of this the other day. Very pleased they edited out the horrible false note that appears in the version that was in Downloads. I am currently absolutely obsessed with the noble, yearning theme in the third movement (very Mahlerian), played by the violins at the bottom of their register apparently (I had thought it was violas). Heart-melting.

Others here may not care for the accompanying Schoenbergian Haydn Variations by Hans Erich Apostel, but there's nothing to be scared of, I promise you! And the Busch variations make a very pleasant end to a well-filled disc.

Alan Howe

Thanks for the review - very encouraging.

John Boyer

Hrrmph.  JPC now says it won't be available until June 14, and yet...

It will be interesting to hear Peter Serkin as an orchestrator.