Heinrich Hofmann Chamber music with piano

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 13 January 2023, 17:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Now, that IS good news! It never plumbs the depths but Hofmann's music is usually so attractive.

John Boyer

Is this the "Frithjof" Hofmann?  The dates on the disc are "1868-1937", which suggests someone else. 

John Boyer

Ah!  I knew those dates seemed familiar: they match Carl Frühling.

Mark Thomas

QuoteIs this the "Frithjof" Hofmann?
Yes it is, John.

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

eschiss1

Wrong generation, even, should be 1842-1902, and yes it does.

John Boyer

I've just opened up my copy and was treated to this delightful beginning to the program notes by annotator Bernd Edelmann:

"Dear reader! You belong to the minority of classical music listeners who love chamber music and, moreover, you have purchased a CD containing premiere recordings by the almost unknown composer Heinrich Hoffmann, meaning that you are curious and interested in hearing works beyond the standard repertoire.  It may surprise you when I advise you to put this booklet to one side!  The first thing to do is to listen to the works with an open mind!  Did you like them?  Or did you find them boring?  I trust in your listening experience and your musicality!"

Well put!

Gareth Vaughan

Mark Thomas

John Boyer

They got the dates right on the booklet (1842 - 1902) anyway. 

Jury is still out on the Violin Sonata, but the Piano Quartet is a winner.
---

Update: and having now listened to the whole thing a couple times, the Piano Quartet remains the stand-out work for me, but the other pieces are enjoyable, too, so you won't go wrong getting this.

Alan Howe

This is just pure joy from beginning to end.

The Piano Quartet in D minor Op.50 (1880) features a first movement choc full of melody and terrific momentum. It's a good-sized piece (33+ mins). No doubt critics will compare it unfavourably with the likes of, say, Brahms, but Hofmann isn't that sort of composer. He writes melodies for the sheer joy of doing so and I salute him for that. Is the slow movement perilously close to the salon at the start? Perhaps. But what tunes as the movement progresses - and what imagination! Why isn't this superb work played more often? If you like, say, Raff, you'll love this.

More as I listen to the other pieces on this set, of which the most important are the Violin Sonata in F minor Op.67 (1883) and the Piano Trio in A Op.18 (1874).

Alan Howe

The Violin Sonata isn't quite on the same level as the Piano Quartet, but it isn't really meant to be. It has only three movements lasting just short of 22 minutes and is often a more delicate work, but again, what soaring melodies it contains. It is sensitively played here. Not a masterpiece, perhaps; sheer enjoyment is what it offers. Some lovely harmonic slips too in the finale.