Walckiers, l'iconoclaste

Started by eschiss1, Wednesday 18 January 2023, 14:44

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Due for issue on January 27th is a several disc recording called Walckiers, l'iconoclaste containing about 4.5 hours of Eugène Walckiers' chamber music. See this description ; many but not all of these works exist in score and/or parts on IMSLP. I intend at least to see if I can hear some of this on Amazon Music- I've been intrigued by the music as I've seen it.

Mark Thomas

This is very good news, the string quintets are lovely works.

edurban

What a marvelous cover photo!  He looks like he hasn't taken his meds in weeks...i've got to get this!

Alan Howe

In what way was he an 'iconoclast'? Rather an exaggeration, don't you think? Berlioz - yes! Walckiers - hmmm....

eschiss1

Maybe he joined the Orthodox Church and rebelled against it?
More likely the label's tried honesty in marketing, seen where it's gotten them, and decided to stretch the truth just a tad :) (Rather as honesty in marketing sank some lovely recordings of late 19th century chamber music I have that seem to be nla...)

Alan Howe

Here's an interesting article on the composer:
https://go.gale.com/ps/i.do?p=AONE&u=googlescholar&id=GALE|A281112232&v=2.1&it=r&sid=AONE&asid=5a12aee5

He's called 'un homme de bien', which means 'a good [or decent] man'. Hardly an iconoclast...