News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Robert Fuchs

Started by petershott@btinternet.com, Tuesday 01 February 2011, 14:46

Previous topic - Next topic

petershott@btinternet.com

I note that Naxos next month will be releasing the two early (Opp. 9 and 14) Serenades for String Orchestra by Fuchs. The bank card is poised ready.

Maybe Fuchs has the same role in my world as the slightly earlier Franz Lachner has for John White (but I'm sure John's knowledge of Lachner is far extensive and better grounded than mine of Fuchs!) Nonetheless he is someone who causes endless delight - and besides, I have no less than Brahms on my side since Fuchs is one of the very few composers singled out for praise by Brahms.

Just as John clamours for more Lachner recordings (and he has full support in that), so I clamour out for more Fuchs. And yet a glimpse at the shelves tells me we are reasonably well provided. We have recordings, and mostly good ones, of the 3 Symphonies, the Piano Concerto, all 6 Violin Sonatas, the 2 Cello Sonatas, the 2 Piano Trios, the 2 Piano Quartets, the 4 String Quartets, some of the Piano Sonatas, and the glorious E flat major Quintet.

Hum, simple mathematics tells me that this is more than a fair representation of Fuchs (and we're much better off here than is the case with Lachner or rather, the Lachners.) 'So what more could one reasonably want?' The answer of course is, more recordings, top notch ones, mainstream labels making for easy accessibility, and of course regular performances. I keep fingers crossed that Naxos might eventually follow up their new CD with another giving the Opp. 51 and 52 Serenades. 

Fuchs is, of course, no giant of the late 19th century. But that matters not one jot, and life wouldn't be so nearly as interesting if our listening was restricted to an exclusive diet of the few giant figures. Besides there would then be no UC forum and we'd all get very bored!

Peter

eschiss1

Also a fan of Fuchs, and I'm not even yet familiar with his serenades.  But very much a fan on the basis especially of his chamber music (especially I think the very late works), the piano sonatas, and other works.

Alan Howe

I'd like to think I'd be interested in the new Naxos CD, but the timings suggest that this may be pretty slim fare...

http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.572222

Come, come, Mr Hero Administrator! Quality or quantity? Besides an order put in soon to you-know-who will cost a mere £3.99. Live dangerously, I say!

Peter

Pengelli

Come on,'you know you want to!'

Balapoel

Well, I can think of a few pieces I'd like to see recorded:
Symphony in b minor (1868)
Symphony in g minor (1872)
The masses (opp. 108, 116, and an early 1896 mass)

Since all the published symphonies are in major keys, I'd like to see what Fuchs could do in a minor mode.

Balapoel

Alan Howe

It's just that I was hoping for rather more than what look like trifles, albeit maybe delicious ones...

Hum, I thought there were just 3 symphonies? No 1 Op 37 (1884); No 2 Op 45 (1887); and No 3 Op 79 (1906) - and all in major keys. I can't find a trace of any others, let alone ones in minor keys.

Are you sure you're not thinking of two of the Serenades (both for strings, and one with 2 horns) which are in minor keys?

Maybe I'm just wrong (and I never mind being told I'm wrong for I end up wiser for it!)

And incidentally, worry not Alan. Some of us mischievous guys enjoy a leg-pull!

Peter

Mark Thomas

Aren't the two symphonies to which Belapoel refers student symphonies which weren't published?

I just don't know - and not trying to pick holes in what anyone else has said! We need a Fuchs expert here. Isn't Eric our man? As for me, can't find any mention of symphonies beyond the 3 published ones - which of course doesn't establish anything.

Ha, mid-posting just checked Grove. Grove 5 devotes a mere 8 lines to Fuchs! Blimey! But in the New Grove of 1980 there is mention of "an early G minor Symphony....that had an indifferent reception in 1872". And the Work list gives 5 symphonies, but no details of the 2 without opus numbers.

I've now got Grove, Belapoel and Mark stacking up against me. Time to withdraw and go emit a few snores!

Peter

Balapoel

Hi all,
Groves lists these two symphonies, the first when Fuchs was 21, the second when he was 25. I've found that often, early examples show different characteristics for each composer. For instance, the very early piano quartet in f minor of Dohnanyi (when he was 14 years old) is very sturm-drang, different than his more 'mature' materials. The same can be said of Richard Strauss' early orchestral works (symphonies in d minor and f minor) vs. his later. For these reasons, I'd like to hear Fuchs' early symphonies.

Balapoel

eschiss1

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Tuesday 01 February 2011, 22:44
Aren't the two symphonies to which Belapoel refers student symphonies which weren't published?
Yes- if they still exist. At least two of the masses to which he refers, however, are more mature works, one of them a late published work (opus 108), one an unpublished work from Fuchs' 49th year, I think. (The Austrian Public Library music subsection catalog has a substantial listing of Fuchs works many of which are unpublished however - I'll see if those two symphonies are among the online  listing... it would be good evidence though not proof they're not lost, I think. :) )

I also want to see that 5th "Amont" string quartet (found also there) if I wasn't misreading!

eschiss1

not to mention his operas, only one of which was published, but which were presumably not trifles- well, I assume...

Jonathan

I have a CD of the 3rd piano sonata (Op.109), Kugendklange and 12 Waltzes, Op.110 which I really enjoy.  I'll probably buy the Serenades CD too (and get the other sonatas as well - they are on Marco-Polo).

eschiss1

Quote from: Jonathan on Wednesday 02 February 2011, 18:07
I have a CD of the 3rd piano sonata (Op.109), Kugendklange and 12 Waltzes, Op.110 which I really enjoy.  I'll probably buy the Serenades CD too (and get the other sonatas as well - they are on Marco-Polo).
Have to look in the used bins now I think for the other two piano sonatas? but I've heard them and found them enjoyable.  Scores of all 3 sonatas, symphonies 1 and 3, and the first 4 serenades at imslp.org/wiki btw...