Albert Ketèlbey - Orchestral Works

Started by Justin, Saturday 22 April 2023, 07:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin

Newly released by the Dutton label. Unfortunately there are no samples available. From my understanding, everything here has been previously recorded except for My Lady Brocade.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9486146--ketelbey-orchestral-works

TerraEpon

Dutton claims:

World Premiere Recording [My Lady Brocade]

First Digital Recording [In Holiday Mood, Three Fanciful Etchings, A Mayfair Cinderella, In a Fairy Realm, In a Camp of the Ancient Britons, A Japanese Carnival, Silver Cloud, Mind the Slide!, Wildhawk]

First Recording of the Original Orchestration [From a Japanese Screen]

First Complete Recording of the Original Orchestration [A Birthday Greeting]

I haven't looked to see what I do own or not, but hey it's Ketelbey so I'll pretty much have to get this....

As for sound samples, it seems that Dutton is stuck in the 90s. It's crazy that in 2023 it's almost impossible to find them for Dutton discs.

Martin Eastick

When I saw notice of this release from Dutton, I was rather hopeful that it would include some of Ketèlbey's serious works, which include a Caprice, Concertstück, and Concerto for piano and orchestra. Some years ago, it was assumed that these works had not survived, and perhaps that is still the case, but knowing Martin Yates' reputation for reconstructing and/or orchestrating surviving remnants of otherwise unperformable music, I was hoping that some of Ketèlbey's early attempts had re-surfaced from the depths of oblivion; and Martin had been able to work his usual magic here! After all, it was no lesser a person than Elgar who had encouraging things to say about the Concertstück, in the programme notes included in one of two Columbia 78 rpm "boxed sets" of Ketèlbey's music (composer conducting),which was released in the later 1920's!

Nevertheless, though, this release seems attractive enough, in spite of the duplications, and I will cetainly be adding this to my collection. Just a brief concluding correction - it is "Albert" rather than "Arthur"!

Gareth Vaughan