Georg Goltermann -Cello Concerto No. 1 · Symphony in A minor · Romance · Ballade

Started by JP, Thursday 26 January 2023, 05:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

terry martyn

The Goltermann arrived on the same day as the Berger. An entirely different animal. This symphony is definitely one for the concert halls,rousing,lively,with a memorable Trio, and pacy Finale.  I can imagine Rietz and Reinecke enjoying conducting it, as it is rooted in the Contemporaries of Schumann mould, and the Leipzig concertgoer would have gone home with a smile on his face, without having felt the need for any profound thinking.

Mark Thomas

Yes, that pretty much sums it up, Terry, but one doesn't always want profundity and this is an attractive and enjoyable Symphony, as are the Cello Concerto and the other two short works for cello and orchestra. It's a CD to which I shall return with pleasure.

Richard Moss

Just downloaded this from PRESTO over the week-end - what a most enjoyable listen (on my third hearing and still liking it all). for me, life's too short to listen to music you don't enjoy (perhaps a paid critic may think otherwise).  From his other pieces up on YT, I'd always imagined a light-handed approach to all his works but the symphony sounds quite profound to my uneducated ears.

Pity Capriccio (et al) don't make the liner notes available for downloads as I find they help me understand much better what I am listening to. Hopefully if this CD sells as well as it sounds other works may follow.

Hope you all had a peaceful and enjoyable Easter break.

Best wishes

Richard

Ilja

The key word for me with Goltermann is always "charming" - an often-underestimated quality in music appreciation. It's perhaps not the most profound, but I'm never bored and like Mark, I'll probably return to this a few times in the future. Glad to have bought it.

eschiss1

I agree. The sort of craft, in knowing how to construct memorable, likeable and distinctive things, that has me returning to lovely chamber music by Rheinberger, e.g., is not something I underestimate either.

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteThe key word for me with Goltermann is always "charming" - an often-underestimated quality in music appreciation.

Agree entirely, Ilja. I hope they record his other concertos which, from the little I know of them (either aurally or viewing the scores), are equally charming and melodious.

jonah

Would the other Goltermann cello concertos not be ideal material for Hyperion's Romantic Cello Concertos' series . . . if there are to be any more

Gareth Vaughan

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

My copy arrived today - and I must say that the Symphony turns out to be a rather more robust and imposing piece than I was expecting. It's exceedingly well done here by Howard Griffiths and the ORF Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra. It ought to be a big seller - and it packs a lot into its half-hour duration.

Mark Thomas

I've played Goltermann's Symphony several times now and have liked it more each time. It's not a work of genius but it's inventive, is memorable and in this performance generally rattles along at a cracking pace. Altogether a really enjoyable listen.

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

I was trying to think which symphony Goltermann's most reminded me of - and it finally occured to me that it was Mendelssohn's early 1st Symphony, completed in 1824, i.e. nearly 30 years before the Goltermann.

I'm not trying to belittle Goltermann's Symphony (I actually rather like it), but it might explain why it disappeared - i.e because it offered nothing new. Today, of course, this doesn't really matter. We can appreciate it for what it is.